Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Older Slayer Question

jimi

Default Older Slayer Question

Hello everyone. My name is Jimi and i have a question. Can you put an STS on a 04-05 Slayer? I have a threaded hole in the back of my riser. The tech at Martin said it would be slanted but it doesnt appear to be.

flytier17

if you buy a threaded STS, it should work. You'll be able to see if your SlayR has a slanted apeture when the STS is installed.

Alec

jimi

thanks for the reply. I took it to a Martin dealer yesterday and it turns out its an 03 Slayer. He ordered me an STS.

jimi

Well i had the STS put on and string served. The only problem was the string is not centered on the rubber on the STS. Its off to the side. The dealer shot my bow and said it was fine, but as i got home, this little problem started to bug me fierce. So i guess i will take the thing off and see if i cant bend it a little bit so it will center on the string. Shouldnt hurt it right?

flytier17

Actually, sitting off of center will cause the string to slip to one side of the rubber, an quiet it further. Thats how most of them work.

Alec

jimi

Ok, thanks. Guess i'll let it as is.

flytier17

Post a pic so I can see how far off center it is.

If it is centered, it will not slip off the side and that causes it to make a distinctive "thump" sound. It is better for it to slip off the side, as long as it still contacts the rubber solidly prior to the slip. Post a picture, and I will see if I can help. I don't profess to be any expert on the matter, but I've fooled around with them on most of my bows, and have found what works best for me.

Alec

jimi

Its way off center,almost to the side of rubber. It will still make contact prior to going off like you said. If you think thats good,i'll go with that. The worst thing that could happen is tearing the rubber up and having to replace that right?
    Last edited by jimi; 05-10-2009 at 10:36 AM.

flytier17

tearing up the rubber is inevitable, no matter where the string rests.

1/8" - 3/16" off center is ideal. Any more and the initial contact is insufficient to dampen the string as much as it should. Any less, and the stopper will be absorbing too much of the shock of the string, and the thump noise will be too obvious.

1/16" - 1/8" away from the string also seems to work best. if it sits against the string, it will give you a nock - low arrow flight. That can be tuned out by other methods, but its like a bandaid for a more serious problem. Its better off to go to the source and move the stopper initially.

Alec

jimi

im trying to post pic now