Thread: losing poundage!

tuneman

Default losing poundage!

hi, i recently started using my bow again in the last 6 months, before then it had been unused for about 5 years.

the bow is a old(someone might no the age) martin prowler, thats whats written on the limbs as well as speed flite series 3000.
    its 65% let of and set at 50lb and thats were the problem is, its supposed to go to 65lb(50-65lb range is written on it).. one day it dropped 6lb after it was left overnight i checked the limbs and riser for any sign of cracks and didn't see anything(fiberglass limbs and cast riser)
    so i re checked the string length and it had stretched a inch out to 35" so i re twisted it back to its 34".

last weekend i installed a peep sight and and its dropped another 5lb now with the limb bolts screwed all the way up all i can get is 50lb.

the bow is fitted with sonic wheels as well with no2 draw modules

any advice?? is my bow about to implode? i know this bow is pretty old cause i bought it secondhand 11 years ago, could the limbs or cables be stretching, it has been dry fired once since i've had it and it put small hairline cracks down the length of the limbs but thats was as 5 years ago and i had them inspected and told they were mostly superficial.

SandSquid

Quote Originally Posted by tuneman View Post
    h
    any advice??
    Time for new strings!

BOWPRK

tuneman your bow sounds like a early 90s version if it has the sonic wheels on it the string length is supposed to be 34 like you said when it stretched to 35 inches the bow would of gained poundage not lost.feel the cables they should be straight an smooth if you feel lumps or it feels like there is a twist inside the plastic coating the cables could be your problem also both cables never let go in equal amounts so if your wheels are out of time thats a sign of a cable giving up though at its age I would start looking at the limbs good luck

brushrat

i think both responses are right. Even those old dacron strings couldn't stretch that much though,i suspect a broken strand or two in the string under one of the served areas. So i would suspect a new string would solve that problem. Also like the other gentleman said one of the swaged ends on one of the cables might have slipped some (or strands broke inside the plastic coating) and the cams would no longer be in time. Check that , but i wouldn't expect that in itself, to be causing a 5 lb. draw weight problem. A definite safety issue though! I'm thinking limb problem,also. Unless you are absolutley sure that one of the cables aren't trying to come apart, do this as a safety precaution:

With a welding mask,or face shield on.......draw the bow all the way back to your normal draw position. Have someone stand off to the side, to let you know which limb is bent more than the other ( the more horizontal one ,of course being the culprit). If that doesn't show anything.....ditch the scale and get one that works properly.

hi, i recently started using my bow again in the last 6 months, before then it had been unused for about 5 years.

the bow is a old(someone might no the age) martin prowler, thats whats written on the limbs as well as speed flite series 3000.
    its 65% let of and set at 50lb and thats were the problem is, its supposed to go to 65lb(50-65lb range is written on it).. one day it dropped 6lb after it was left overnight i checked the limbs and riser for any sign of cracks and didn't see anything(fiberglass limbs and cast riser)
    so i re checked the string length and it had stretched a inch out to 35" so i re twisted it back to its 34".

last weekend i installed a peep sight and and its dropped another 5lb now with the limb bolts screwed all the way up all i can get is 50lb.

the bow is fitted with sonic wheels as well with no2 draw modules

any advice?? is my bow about to implode? i know this bow is pretty old cause i bought it secondhand 11 years ago, could the limbs or cables be stretching, it has been dry fired once since i've had it and it put small hairline cracks down the length of the limbs but thats was as 5 years ago and i had them inspected and told they were mostly superficial.

tuneman

thanks for those replies

the string on it is less than a year old, and seems fine, theres no frayed strands, the cables are smooth and the ends are where they've always been and the timing of each wheel is the same, both limbs seem to be bending evenly.

so having the string at 35" increases the draw weight, im wondering if with me shortning it to 34 has caused the drop because up until recently or when i put the new string on i have never bothered to even worry about how long it is, who knows how long it was before then.

i've tried 2 different scales and they both read the same,...do fiberglass limbs bend with age? if they do is it ever possible to get new ones for this bow! or more to the point is it economical to buy new ones for a bow so old

BOWPRK

Tuneman can you post a pic of the bow an wheel position at rest?

brushrat

Your question is, can the fiberglass lose strength over time? I suppose it could, but nothing near the 5-6 lbs overnight as you stated. It would just have to be plain cracked and be very obvious!

thanks for those replies

the string on it is less than a year old, and seems fine, theres no frayed strands, the cables are smooth and the ends are where they've always been and the timing of each wheel is the same, both limbs seem to be bending evenly.

so having the string at 35" increases the draw weight, im wondering if with me shortning it to 34 has caused the drop because up until recently or when i put the new string on i have never bothered to even worry about how long it is, who knows how long it was before then.

i've tried 2 different scales and they both read the same,...do fiberglass limbs bend with age? if they do is it ever possible to get new ones for this bow! or more to the point is it economical to buy new ones for a bow so old

tuneman

wheel pic

http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechfo...1&d=1241427009
    Attached Images Attached Images