Thread: jaguar take down

marrahm

Default jaguar take down

Received my new bow today, but have a few questions that are not answered by the short manual:

-Is there any buffer b/w the limbs and the riser? There appears to be just a thin (leather) pad on the limb, no rubber spacers or anything else -- correct?

-The bolt bore for the top limb is off center w/r/t the transverse lug such that when the bolt goes through the lug, it won't pass through into the hole after the lug. I've tried every combination of the two bolts and two lugs. everything works in the lower mount, but nothing works in the upper mount. Anything I'm missing here?

-Any explanation available for what all the various tapped holes and mounts are on the riser?

BTW, the bow itself is beautiful. My first traditional bow was a PSE kingfisher that I returned to buy this bow b/c cabela's only had it in 40#, which wasn't enough to hunt with (I felt). Despite this hiccup, this bow looks to be a huge upgrade over the PSE in terms of looks and feel. Hope it shoot as well as it looks.

Thanks,
    Mike

SandSquid

Quote Originally Posted by marrahm View Post
    -Any explanation available for what all the various tapped holes and mounts are on the riser?
    The riser is machined to accept any "standard" sight system, arrow rest, stabilizer, an quiver.

I'd call Martin and get that riser looked at, sounds like they are having some QC issues. At least yours had the threads actually cut, unlike Ratdogs'

I sure hope this is not a harbinger of sorrows to come, I've been waiting since December, and if this is what I can expect, I'll wait a few more weeks rather than have one of these botched units.

deanrm

As far as the connection between the riser and limb, mine just has the leather material stuck on the limb to help cushion the interface.

I don't know what is going on with the barrel nut, that should just slide into the hole in the riser. It sounds like you tried it every way, mabe try the barrel nut from the bottom in the top?

I'm sure the good folks at Martin can help you out if it doesn't go together correctly!

Dean

marrahm

Just talked with tech support at Martin. Turns out some of the bows have shipped with the wrong limb bolts (2.25" v. 2.0"). The bolt holes themselves are NOT threaded, but there is a removable threaded barrel that the bolt screws into and through. The lower bolt works fine, even in the 2.25 length, but the upper stops when it comes out of the back of the barrel and hits the riser.

From a look at my riser, it appears that the reason is that the top bolt hole is not milled perpendicular to the barrel hole axis -- its off center. So while the bolt mates with the barrel just fine, it won't go through the barrel into the bolt hole on the other side. the lower limb mount is perfectly centered.

To anyone who has a working bow -- are your bolts 2" or 2.25" ?

Thanks,
    Mike

SandSquid

Just talked with tech support at Martin. Turns out some of the bows have shipped with the wrong limb bolts (2.25" v. 2.0"). The bolt holes themselves are NOT threaded, but there is a removable threaded barrel that the bolt screws into and through. The lower bolt works fine, even in the 2.25 length, but the upper stops when it comes out of the back of the barrel and hits the riser.
    If I understand correctly your description, it seems that a quick trip to the hardware store to purchase a bolt of a lenght just slightly shorter than the maximum availible depth would be a quick fix.

marrahm

since I'm more than a little impatient, if someone here confirms that 2" is the right length, I'm going to thread the barrel onto the bolt, dremel off 1/4" and unthread it to clean the bolt threads. that'll keep the bolt head and socket the same as the lower bolt and let me shoot until I can get the replacement bolts...
    mike
    Last edited by marrahm; 05-13-2009 at 12:36 PM.

SandSquid

since I'm more than a little impatient, if someone here confirms that 2" is the right length, I'm going to thread the barrel onto the bolt, dremel off 1/4" and unthread it to clean the bolt threads. that'll keep the bolt head and socket the same as the lower bolt and let me shoot until I can get the replacement bolts...
    mike
    Hold the limb in place and stick a long thin object (such as a wooden chopstick) down the hole until it bottoms out..... mark the depth, extract object and measure the depth of the hole. cut bolt to that lenght minus about 1/16".

deanrm

Mike,

I would be a little careful about not getting the threaded portion of the bolt completly through the barrel nut. Make sure it is fully threaded into and through the barrel nut.

Can you clean up the bottom portion of the bolt hole in the riser with your dremel or a drill that the bolt is supposed to extend into? It soulds like that is the root of all evil here.

I would talk to Martin first before I did any modifications. It may void your warranty.

Hope it works for you!
    Dean

Ratdog68

Quote Originally Posted by SandSquid View Post
    At least yours had the threads actually cut, unlike Ratdogs'
    The limb bolt holes in the riser are not supposed to be threaded. The barrel nut slides into the riser and has the threads required to secure the limb with the bolts. I was able to see that once I got one that actually had hardware included. My second Jaguar bow arrived and was "complete"... although I'm still not impressed with the "finish" of the limbs. Slivers should not rise up and bite ya when ya run your hands along the limbs' edges.