Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 09 cheetah limb adjustment

skoty69

Default 09 cheetah limb adjustment

I just got my bow a week ago, and i have 60lbs limbs, from the factory they were at 65lbs, and the screws still had adjustment to go higher. The guy at the local archery shop turned them 2 turns out i believe. Is it safe just to crank the limbs in until the screw stops? Conversely, are there any problems with shooting a bow at the bottom of the adjustment range? I'm new to this sport and cant keep drawing 70lbs or more and get any real amount of practice time. Should i seek out 50lbs limbs instead? i was under the impression that if i ordered a 60lb max bow the max would be 60lbs and the min about 45lbs, is my the only bow that is too high? The limbs read 3L, what is the poundage for these limbs?

Post Thanks / Like

Im a not sure what the 60lbs rating should be but if you order a bow with 60lbs maximum draw weight your draw weight range should be 45 - 60lbs.

If you turn the limb screw 5 turns out and you get more than around 45 to 47 lbs you may have the wrong limbs. Maybe you will measure the bows ata and bh and check if it meets the factory specs.
    (2) Martin ShadowCat 2010

flytier17

If you ordered a 60lb bow, it should bottom no more than 62-64lbs. you may have the wrong limbs on your bow.

No problem with shooting at the bottom end of the range, but you will have an almost negligible decrease of effeciency. Basically, if you shot 2 bows with identical specs but one was backed off 15lbs and the other was bottomed, the bottomed bow might have 3 fps more.

Nothing wrong with bottoming your limbs either, but the poundage might be around 70, which is not what you want from what I understand.

simon has a good suggestion. Check the specs. its unlikely the factory would have drastically screwed the strings up, but not impossible. its more likely they sent you the wrong limbs, or the proshop didn't order correctly.

Alec

skoty69

Default hmmmm

i dont know what ata is? axle to axle? and bh? today i cranked then limbs down 2full turns it shoots as fast as my friends pse bowmadness set at 60 if not faster. there is a noticeable difference in sound though. the more i crank the limbs the quieter it gets. i"ll have the limbs checked again, and are you guys suggesting that the string length might be off?? i am really new to archery so i dont know the "terms" and lots of other things about archery. i do know that today i smoked a bow twice the price and was very happy with my groups at 60 yards, about a dinner plate size group. i was just hoping to hit the bail and not lose arrows!! with all my shooting faults, the bow, i believe came through and degraded my coworkers pride. we shoot for slurpees at lunch and so far im not shelling out for 7-11!!

Post Thanks / Like

ATA (A2A) is axle to axle length. You measure with a tape, simple as that. Brace height is the distance from the string to the deepest part of the grip, at rest, not drawn. Measure these and see how they compare to what the factory says they should be. They should be close, but don't have to be right on. If the A2A is short and the brace height is taller then it's possible that the string/cable is a little short or they have been twisted up too much, which puts more preload on the limbs.

It doesn't happen often, but it's possible the limbs were mismarked at the factory. Frankly, if you want a bow that maxes at 60# then that's what you should get. Most bows go a pound or two higher, but that's about it.

If the specs are close and you still want a bow maxing at 60# then I'd take it back to the dealer and have him contact Martin for new limbs.

It is not necessary to shoot a bow maxed out, but as you are finding they shoot a bit more quiet when cranked to the upper end of the weight range. This is due mainly to the fact that the string and cable system is tighter. Also, as mentioned, pound for pound the bow will shoot a bit faster, but not appreciably so, a couple fps.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

skoty69

Default measured ata and bh

ata=30 and bh= is 7 1/4 and thats the specs. so i guess i may have incorrect limbs. so far i havent had any problems with the draw weight so far i think im getting stronger so the weight isnt a problem anymore. i won our little shop tourney again today. against a hoyt and a pse. im happy with it!! im gonna have to get it measured again though now that ive turned it up! i might have to get new arrows.

navydave

Default limbs

Did your bow come with the ccs, if it did, it will top out higher than the listed 60lbs. The generic limbs for 60lbs is 3h if you have 3l, I think that designates that the bow has stronger limbs to make up for the extra pre-load that the CCS places on the bow limbs. My gals cheetah came with the CCS and it maxes out at about 55lbs vice 50 the limbs say.

flytier17

A 3L will be a weaker limb than a 3H. 6lbs weaker.

3H is not the generic 60lb limb. There is none. every cam system and limb preload has differing stresses involved, thus requiring idfferent resistence in the limb to provide a psecific poundage. a Firecat may use a 4M, while a Warthog may use a 6L, and the peak weight may be the same due to the different load and profile of the limbs. Switching from a "B" Nitrous cam to a "C" Nitrous cam results in a need for a limb 2 #'s higher (10lbs), because of the different cams.

Alec

navydave

Quote Originally Posted by flytier17 View Post
    A 3L will be a weaker limb than a 3H. 6lbs weaker.

3H is not the generic 60lb limb. There is none. every cam system and limb preload has differing stresses involved, thus requiring idfferent resistence in the limb to provide a psecific poundage. a Firecat may use a 4M, while a Warthog may use a 6L, and the peak weight may be the same due to the different load and profile of the limbs. Switching from a "B" Nitrous cam to a "C" Nitrous cam results in a need for a limb 2 #'s higher (10lbs), because of the different cams.

Alec
    if it'snot the generic limb for a 60lb cheetah, then why is that the limb listed on the specs chart for a 60lb cheeta here http://www.martinarchery.com/tech2009.php

skoty69

Default no ccs

i dont have a ccs, i wanted one but was reading somewhere else on this forum that there was a need for longer string/cables and what not to do it. i was under the impression that the mod was a simple bolt on. anyone do this mod without having to modify anything else?? i have two more full turns on the limb bolts to bottom out, and its at 65lbs already. i just lengthened the draw an inch to try it out it feels a little more comfortable but now i have to have the shop retie my peep after i moved it. i have to learn how to serve the string and tie it myself. i bought 500 soine shafts so i may need to buy new shafts right.