Thread: Stripped-out Cable-Guard Allen Screw...???

Hybrid View

jll2kgl

Default Stripped-out Cable-Guard Allen Screw...???

I have a 2005 Cougar III Magnum Dyna-cam - I Love it and it shoots great - But, now I have a problem... I went to a local 3D Shoot and when I got home I noticed that the Cable Guard rod had backed out about 1/4" to where I could see the locking teeth on the rod itself... I put the bow on the press and re-aligned everything back the way it was before and I must not have realised I was so strong but when I re-tightened the allen screw - I stripped-out the head and now I can't Tighen OR Loosen the allen... I hate like hell to have to send the bow in to get 1 screw replaced... when I could do it my self or take it into the local pro shop to have it done...

Where can I find one of these allen-head screws or can someone send me one to replace the old one...

Thanks in advance...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I would hate to give you advice on how to do it yourself and have you mess up your bow and void your warranty. The best advice I can give you is go to a good auto or tool store and buy a good set of allen wrenches that fit snug when you put them in an allenhead screw and you won't strip out anymore.

Robert

jll2kgl

Can someone from Support please tell me what size/thread that particular allen head screw is ... I don't want to send this back just to have one screw replaced... That just seems kinda excessive!

jll2kgl

t.t.t.

t.t.t.

Metal Mick

Hi James,

I can't provide you with specific advice, but...

I had a similar problem with a grub screw on my daughter's pressure button (recurve archer). Her pressure button is from Europe and has metric-sized components. I was able to get an imperial size allen key in the head and loosen it that way. It took very little force to get the key in, and so worn was the head that the imperial key felt like a pretty good fit! This might work for you, but you're in the US, where metric allen keys could be at a premium.

Have you applied a "loosening" agent, like a very light oil - in Australia we have a product called "Penetrene".

The only other things I can suggest get increasingly messy, and I'm loathe to offer them.

The first thing I do when I get a new piece of archery equipment is visit my local engineering store, and get replacement bits-that-might-fall-out-or-get-damaged.

Good luck,

Michael

jll2kgl

t.t.t.

t.t.t.