Thread: Shadowcat specification

Hybrid View

Metal Mick

Default Shadowcat specification

Hi,

I have a 2005 Shadowcat with Nitrous B cams and Elite limbs. Recently I converted it to Nitrous from Nitrous X.

Currently, it has a 41" ATA and nearly 9" brace height. Brace height is measured to the center of the plunger hole closest to the string.

This is a little out of specification and I was wondering what I'd have to do to get it closer. It is important to me, as when I go to full draw (30.5"), the cable slide comes halfway off the guard. The cable guard was supplied to me by a local Martin dealer, so I presume it is the correct one, and another SC I saw had a similar length CG.

I feel that if the brace was closer to spec (8.25"?) I wouldn't have this issue. I could get a longer CG, but this seems a poor solution.

Any help or ideas getting the bow to spec would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Michael

Metal Mick

to the top.

KStigall

Sounds like your cables, at least, are out of spec.
    From Martin's spec sheetfor ShadowCat Elite, B cam
    Shoot String: 56.25", cables: 42.75"
    It also says the "b" cam tops out at 30 inch draw.
    ( http://www.martinarchery.com/chart/2...rt/nitrous.php) -I hope this is correct.

It sounds like your new cables may be too short or just twisted up too much. You kept the same shoot string? If your cables are short and the string is right your brace height would be greater. This would cause the draw length to be longer.

Short cables- more brace, more draw length

Metal Mick

Hi KStigall,

thanks for the reply. I'm pretty fastidious regarding string and cable lengths, and try my best to get them to specification. I checked the string length prior to picking up my SC again, and it is good to within a 1/16 of an inch. I didn't check the cables, though I just might do that. I agree that the shorter the cable, the higher the brace height.

If I untwist the cables, won't the ATA increase? My Merlin handbook had the advice that the essential measurement is brace height, and I wonder if that is the same with my SC? I don't mind if the ATA goes out further (though it is nearly an inch longer than specification already), but I'll always be curious as to why both measurements are long, and not one or the other.

In this post:

http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechfo...thread.php?t=6

- PUG advised B cams would be correct. Prior to posting my original query, I rang around the Martin dealers here in Australia, and got an even spread of advice for "B" cams, and "C". I thought the official Martin forum would be a fine arbiter. I have a correct draw length now, with the B cams, and 2 or 3 holes still to go.

You'll note my posting goes back quite a while. I hadn't shot the Shadowcat seriously until recently as I had an Old Glory, but the limbs are breaking on the OG, so while I await their arrival (actually, after nearly two weeks, I'm still waiting for my Bowtech supplier to send me a price - way to go Bowtech!) I thought I'd take my Shadowcat to the Nationals in three weeks. Hence my query now.

The bow is growing on me - I didn't like the vibration in it, but some limb savers have made it far better to shoot. It does seem to need a heavy stabilizer though, as it still kicks up a little on release. The grip is the best I've ever encountered, and at 53lb, my SC is only slightly slower than my OG (at 51), which is allegedly a "fast" bow.

Anyway, thanks again for you help. I think I'll live with an elongated ATA, just to get the BH closer to spec.

Regards,

Michael

joelc

you should measure your brace height from the pivot point to the string. this is why your specs seem off, correct strings and cables are 56 1/4" and 42 3/4"

Metal Mick

Hi Joel,

thanks for that. The brace height measured from the pivot point to the string is 8.75".

I'll check the cable lengths presently.

Regards,

Michael