Thread: 75 yard turkey

jhunt414

Default 75 yard turkey

Martin Warthog 70 lbs 30" 444grain acc rocket miniblaster
    When turkeys get smart they come don't get any closer to you than 50 yards. They can tell a decoy from the real macoy. Humps of grass don't make turkey noises. That is why this season I left my ten guage at home and brought my bow. six pins plus a level that shoots out to 83 yards. That big tom came to 75 yards and though he was safe. I shot and watched my arrow soar for a second and a half until thwack! He gets knocked over with my arrow sticking up. Rolls over breaks off my arrow and runs off never to be seen again. Unpon review my arrow only penetrated a few inches and my shaft was intact it was my broadhead that broke off at the insert. I must of hit some heavy bone. So if you find a turkey in the woods of Maine with a rocket miniblaster stuck in it. You will know why. I'll stick to my muzzy's from now on. Bad To The Bone!

johnnyitron

Cool 75 Yards??

I shot my last Tom at 9 yards with my Martin Cougar, I think a 75 yard shot is irresponsible for a bowhunter. Most likely you aren't practicing that length of shot. If you would have grabbed your 12 guage and called that Tom to 50 yards you would be eating turkey dinner, instead of writing the post on how you missed your shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Turkey's with a bow...

In my opinion if you're gonna shoot a turkey with a bow, the max it should be is about 50 yards, maximum, otherwise a bow has about the same power and knockdown as a 12 gauge with 3" mags.

jhunt414

Broadhead failure was the reason for the missed opurtunity not yardage. Yes if the bird made it to 50 I could of shot it in the head but it came only as close as 70 then spooked and went to 75 so I shot it. This was the 5th or so time this year this has happened where the turkeys stop out far when you hunt the fields. This is the second time with this particular bird. Don't question my shooting ability I practice at 100 yards and can keep them on out there but I wouldn't take a shot in the field that far because I don't trust my abilities so I limit myself to 80 yards where I can confidently make a good shot. Although this is too far for a guaranteed kill head shot. Like I said I will be using my Muzzy's from now on. I wouldn't have gotten a chance all year if I had my 10 guage. That's why I brought my bow this year and I will have my bow next year as well. It is also easier to carry than my 13 lbs shotgun with a 32 inch barrel.

martinleopardbuck hunter4

Default opinion

you should make sure when you have a shot make sure to think how ethical the shot can be. oh and cabelas.com sells some gillitine broadheads to chop toms head and he wont go a foot at any rangee if he gets hit.

flytier17

80yds opens the opportunities for too many variables. A little puff of wind after you release could mean a wound shot vs. a kill shot. 50 is an absolute max.

The target shooter tries to prove himself by shooting things at the greatest distance possible. But the ethical hunter will prove himself by getting as close to the animal as possible. Target shooting is fine at long range where all your will damage is paper. But when you are dealing with the life of an animal, you owe it to them to dispatch as cleanly an ethically as possible. I don't believe a 75yd. shot is a clean ethical shot to make.

maybe instead of spending so much time at long range practice you would be better off to spend more time in the woods in the off season being close to the game you pursue.

Alec