Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slayer ?

davydtune

Default Slayer ?

Anyone know what the string and cable lengths are for an 06 Slayer with 14" limbs instead of the standard 13" limbs? I have such a Slayer that I bought used. The way it's set up with the 14" limbs: ATA 38.25" and BH 7". I've been told that the ata should be 37.75" (same as it would be with the 13" limbs) and that the BH should be 6.25". I'm guessing who ever had the bow before me wanted the extra BH and had a strings and cables made accordingly? Could I just use the lengths that Martin has listed for the standard Slayer with 13" limbs?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes if the A/A for both bows are the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes if the A/A for both bows are the same.

Wabohnter

doesn't matter how long your limbs are.to keep your bow in spec the string lengths shouldn't change. Slayers came with both 13' and 14' limbs.14 inch limbs for a 7' BH and 13' for a 6' BH ive had them both ways hope this helps.
    as for string and cable lenghts it all depends on the cam system you have. being your bow is an 06 im guessing you have got nitrous cams and strings are as follows

cables are 39.50
    string is B cams 52.75

C cams 58.25

A cams 49.75 (if your a short armed person)
    Last edited by Wabohnter; 06-28-2009 at 01:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wabohnter View Post
    doesn't matter how long your limbs are.to keep your bow in spec the string lengths shouldn't change. Slayers came with both 13' and 14' limbs.14 inch limbs for a 7' BH and 13' for a 6' BH ive had them both ways hope this helps.
    as for string and cable lenghts it all depends on the cam system you have. being your bow is an 06 im guessing you have got nitrous cams and strings are as follows

cables are 39.50
    string is B cams 52.75

C cams 58.25

A cams 49.75 (if your a short armed person)
    In general you are correct but only if the A/A for both styles are the same using the same cam system...and this could be a possibility since the the 13" limbs may not be deflected as much as the 14" limbs. If the bow with the 13" limbs have a shorter A/A trust me the string and cable lengths will vary by the difference in the A/A length between the two.

davydtune

Thanks all!

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately I'm not going to be of much help ecept to say that with the two different limb length I don't believe the ATA would be the same. The 14" limbs would have to make a longer bow with a higher brace height.

I am fairly certain that the Slayer was offered with both limb lengths in 2005. With 14" limbs it was just called a Slayer and had an IBO of 325 fps. With 13" limbs it was called a Slayer Extreme with an IBO of 335 fps. Of course this was probably with the C Nitrous cams.

The Extreme is listed at 37.75" ATA so just using my noggin I would think that 38.25 would be pretty close to correct for 14" limbs. Here again, I could be wrong. It happens. And what changes were made for 2006 is open for discussion.

I tried going back in earlier catalogs and didn't find much more than what is in the spec sheets. In fact, for 2004 the Slayer is listed at 35" ATA which I know is wrong because I had one with 14" limbs and I remember it being closer to 38".

I'm not questioning anybody's knowledge here, but being as there is so many different figures being tossed around here I would suggest calling JoelC at Martin and getting it straight from the horse's mouth.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Default bfisher...

speaking of the Nitrous cams, did you ever put the nitrous cams on your new moab?, i thought i remembered you saying it was a project for you or something, but anyways if you did could you post some pics?

Post Thanks / Like

I can tell you this with certainty I have a SlayR and had two Slayers all with 14" limbs and the NOS C cams and they had from a 37.75" thru 38" A/A. You can take that bit to the bank and Joel will tell you the same. As far as the 13" limbs...call Joel and you are correct the 2004 specs at 35" A/A is a mis print.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jake-the-snake View Post
    speaking of the Nitrous cams, did you ever put the nitrous cams on your new moab?, i thought i remembered you saying it was a project for you or something, but anyways if you did could you post some pics?
    Jake, No, I haven't done that yet. Life has been too hectic around here to do much of anything.. Between helping my son with his house, scuba diving to the nether parts of the world, vacationing, and shooting the FireCat the Moab has definitely taken a back seat.

I guess I have more excuses than the man in the moon. Maybe it has something to do with just not having any love of these short bows. I have to get myself really motivated to build another one. I know the ATA would be almost identical to the ShadowCat that the cams came off of. Somewhere real close to 32 1/2". Maybe I should have tried a Warthog and changed the cams. I could probably see a little more advantage to having at least something around 35".

Glad you reminded me though. I just might find time in the next week to 10 days. The wife will be aout of town and I've gotten a few important issues taken care of in the last few days.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver