Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who has harvested a mature big mature whitetailed deer?

davydtune

Default Who has harvested a mature big mature whitetailed deer?

......Say +200 lbs dressed/+250 lbs on the hoof?

If so what broadhead was used?

Not trying to start a fight over which head is better. Just doing some research. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Slick Tricks, Rocky Mountain

As I am only 17 years old, i haven't had to many chances at a nice mature whitetail, but last year i did harvest a 185 pound 8 point white tail, after measuring with deductions it scored 141 3/8, but the broadhead i used was a Slick Trick 100 Grain Magnum, at 23 yards it passed right through and the buck ran 50 yards and stopped and fell over and it was all over for him, the broadhead drove the arrow a few inches in the ground as well. The bow i used then was a Martin C4 cougar and it was only getting 255 fps, but that was with a 430 grain arrow. My dad uses Rocky Mountain broadheads and wouldnt change, as he has killed many deer over the years with them, including a doe from 42 yards away. I dont think there is a bad broadhead out there, although muzzy's seem to be the only head that i can not get to fly with my field points...not dissing them, but those are just my results.

banshee42096

close at 189 dressed 9 point 100 grain thunder heads never lost a deer shooting these.but of coase placment is the key.

SandSquid

A yearling doe tastes better.

BadgerND

I've shot 3 in that class. The first with a Savora, the second with a Rocky Mountain, the third with a Thunderhead. I've also taken several other animals in that class or larger with Rocky Mountains and Muzzies.

RogerSr

I have not shot a whitetail in that class, but have shot a lot of elk, that were a lot bigger then that, and some big mule deer in that class, the head I've used the most is the Magnus Snuffer, and lately the Magnus Stinger, and Buzzcut, and get passthroughs just about everytime,and the last few years I've went down to 52-53# bows, if you can think of a way, don't get old!
    Last edited by RogerSr; 08-28-2009 at 11:43 AM.

Coop

Default Sorry..

they don't make'em that big down here, but,,, if you add the two deer together that I shot + the Axes deer.., than I might be able to make the 250+ lbs.
    Oh, I am really liking the Slick Trick Mags(100grains).

Coop

martinman1999

Thumbs up muzzys

ive shot 6 white tails over 200 the largset being 213 dressed and i shoot a rytera set at 70 lbs and shoot a 100gr mx3 muzzy and ive shot them from 10 to 40 yards and always get a pass through and have hit ribs shoulers ive done it all and im telling you muzzy is the way you cant hurt them im not a mechanical type of guy i want a hard hit and a solid head behind hit

buckshot20

Well I can't say much for 200 lbs deer. They don't grow that big in florida but i've taken a few wild hogs above that weight with g5 montecs, and hogs are a thick skinned critter. That was shooting 410 grains of arrow(100 gr. G5) at 280fps. Honestly find what shoots good for your set up, make sure they are razor sharp and make a good shot. Good results will follow

bronko22000

Default I finally did

Two years ago (after about 43 years) I harvest my first legitimate over 200 lb whitetail. I shot many in the 120 - 140 lb class. And if coincidence or not but this was the same year I switched from Muzzy 3 blade 100 gr broadheads to Magnus Stinger 4 bladers. I shot that buck behind the shoulder at 23 yds. when I had just gotten down out of my stand. He took 4 bounds, stopped, put his tail down and walked another 35 or 40 yds., stopped, staggered and fell over.
    Last year, I had an 8 pt come right to the base of the tree I was in to smell some buck urine I had sprinkled there. He turned and walked directly away. I drew back and followed him. When he made a right turn, the Stinger slipped in about the 3rd rib back. He took off like a scalded dog for about 60 yds, stopped, stood there for about 30 seconds and laid down. I watched him for about 2 mins until he flopped over on his side, gave a couple kicks and expired.
    I am a firm believer in the Magnus Stingers. I think they penetrate hide with less 'feeling' and may seem more like a bee sting to the animal.
    Oh yeah, this same broadhead accounted for a 1000 lb bison with almost a complete pass through (except for the fletching) out of a 63# draw wt.