Thread: Safe to shoot an arrow that struck another?

Default Safe to shoot an arrow that struck another?

While shooting today I had one arrow strike another. The arrows are carbon fiber arrows, Red Head brand from Bass Pro rated for up to a 60 pound draw, which is what I am shooting. The arrow that was struck was split and penetrated about a foot, obviously it is trash. I have not been able to separate them yet but the striking arrow appears to have not been damaged.

My question is, is it safe to continue shooting the striking arrow assuming there is no visible damage. If it is not a good idea to keep it in regular use would it be OK to remove the vanes and use it to tune the bow as described in the Martin manual? Or should I just take off the field points and trash the rest.

Post Thanks / Like

If it looks good you can keep using it. The warnings about the damaged arrows are a little exaggerated. You can bend it holding the ends and if it's still ok you can shoot it. I've never damaged a carbon arrow, but have shot a lot of bent and then straightened alluminium and some broken and glued wooden ones and still have both my eyes
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

SandSquid

Quote Originally Posted by #93 View Post
    . The arrow that was struck was split and penetrated about a foot, obviously it is trash. I have not been able to separate them yet but the striking arrow appears to have not been damaged.
    You got a "Robin Hood", it is considered bad luck by most archers to pull apart a Robin Hood, if you are a superstitious type of person. Either way I'd hang it on the wall as a trophy and point of pride. many archers go their whole life without getting one

Post Thanks / Like

"You got a "Robin Hood", it is considered bad luck by most archers to pull apart a Robin Hood, if you are a superstitious type of person. Either way I'd hang it on the wall as a trophy and point of pride. many archers go their whole life without getting one"

I guess i could consider myself to be extremely lucky to have 4 robin hoods, and i pulled 3 of them apart just cuz i did not want to lose 2 arrows to something like that lol, and i sure hope its not bad luck

I had to put the damaged arrow in a vise to get them apart but the striking arrow appears to be just fine. I am going to mark it, just in case if flies different now I will be able to identify it, and continue shooting it. If I was attempting to hit the arrow it would be a shot I was proud of but it was just dumb luck. Sure hope there is nothing to that bad luck superstition.