Thread: Home made string stopper help

e.bausch

Default Home made string stopper help

I am very new to bow shooting. I bought a Martin MOAB last fall but have only recently been able to begin shooting due to a shoulder injury, but to the point... I bought the bow to take advantage of the very long deer bow season we enjoy in Ohio. I decided I wanted a string stopper to lessen the chance of the deer being spooked by the bow and to stop the string from hitting my forearm when I get sloppy with my stance.

I have a few machine tools and made one out of 6061 aluminum. I machined a radius, that is thoroughly debured, for the string to nestle in. After I made it I looked at the commercial offerings and saw they all have a heavy rubber bumper for the string.

My questions are will I damage something with out a big rubber bumper, how should it be adjusted for string contact and when I shoot it the bow it is quieter but it makes a "tick" sound, is that sound to be expected.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

DO NOT shoot it with this! You may be seriously injured. You need a rubber stop. If you want, check my homemade STS in Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4hrH...e=channel_page
    Also i've posted some pictures in a previous thread. I've used a rubber tip from a cane
    P.S. The STS must be either right next to the string or a millimetre away - you must try different positions untill you're satisfied - oh, this sounds strange, i'm sorry .
    Last edited by alex; 07-11-2009 at 11:26 AM.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Dave308

Thanks guys. I am the original poster, just remembered my account name. Thanks for the links. I just ordered one of the Meanv Archery rubber bumpers. I'll make a shaft to fit it once it arrives.

Alex I saw some of your other youtube videos while my shoulder was healing. I'll take it you like the MOAB So far I am thrilled with mine but it is my first bow so I don't have a point of reference. I have really taken a liking to archery and am surprised at how accurate the bows are, compared to what I shot in boy scouts so long ago, and I am not even good yet

Post Thanks / Like

"Alex I saw some of your other youtube videos while my shoulder was healing. I'll take it you like the MOAB So far I am thrilled with mine but it is my first bow so I don't have a point of reference. I have really taken a liking to archery and am surprised at how accurate the bows are, compared to what I shot in boy scouts so long ago, and I am not even good yet "

Thanks for watching them! I really like the MOAB - i have a cheap Taiwanian compound bow which i also like, but the Martin is my first high quality American bow and it's great! So far i've shot the MOAB only in the backyard no more then 13-14 yards and am impatient to try it on longer ranges next month Good luck with your shoulder and have a nice time with your bow!
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Thanks for the advice guys. I made a second string stopper to fit the Meanv Archery boot. It no longer makes the tick sound when I shoot it and am very happy.

Post Thanks / Like

Try the limbsaver stopper you will really be happy it is awsome.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks nice! Good job with the rod Works like the factory ones but 5-6 times cheaper.