Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stripped allen screw

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stripped allen screw

Quick question, i was just recently changing the draw length on my 08 firecat, and i think i stripped the screw, where you have to put the allen wrench into the screw to twist it out, my question is how do i get that screw out? any info. to the problem would be greatly appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

Too bad...First of all put some oil and leave it for an hour or two in order to unscrew(if this is the correct word ) it easier. Then use a flat screwdriver -if needed tighten it with a second smaller one.If this doesn't work you must use a drill and the job will be pretty nasty- you must drill carefully,then try to stuck the drill and on reverse try to unscrew the bolt.
    P.S. In the matter of fact i think first you must use carefully the allen wrench - i don't expect the bolt to be so badly damaged.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

drill small hole in set screw and use small easy out done it many times Laz

Post Thanks / Like

i really dont like the idea of using a drill on such a small piece of the bow, but if anyone has any other ideas id love to hear them, the info would be much appreciated...

Hanksv

With small allen bolts, I would expect the allen wrench to strip before the bolt head. I have had this problem when using cheap allen wrenches. If you did in fact strip out the bolt head, an easy out is probably the way to go. i have hear of guys trying to JB weld allen wrenches into stripped bolt heads with mixed success.

SandSquid

With restoring antique VW Bugs I have gotten pretty adept at removing screws and bolts with stripped heads.
    While it is a bit scary the first time it has proven to be 100% effective and has never ruined anything but the screw or bolt I have been trying to get out.

First you need the absolute right size drill bit. It needs to be slightly smaller than the hole the bolt/screw passes through and slightly larger or the same diameter of the shaft of the screw/bolt.
    Simply set the bit inside the Allen socket, and drill away. When you get through the head (the base of the flare in this cae) and to the shaft the head simply falls away. You can now remove the module from the cam and grab the remainder of the shaft left in the cam w/ some needle nose and back it out...

If you donít care about the module, you can use a slightly more aggressive method I outlined here:
    http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechfo...ead.php?t=4057

The result is the same the flared head falls away from the shaft.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same thing happen to me on my Nitrous A cam Mod screw. I went to loosen it and it just popped. I thought the allen wrench broke but the socket in the screw just shattered. I got it out with a Left Hand drill bit.

Robert
    May All Of Your Arrows Find The Bulls Eye-MSMFSL
    NRA Life Member
    NFAA Member
    Martin Proud
    Scepter IV Elite w/Furious X Cams

Post Thanks / Like

another question, what is this "easy out" stuff, and where could i buy some? thanks everyone for your help...also about a week ago i posted a thread about Martin's customer service, well i had to get new limbs and my dealer called up to Martin, and they sent replacement limbs right away, well on tuesday i got the new limbs for free and they work great, thank you Martin, for everything

Hanksv

An easy-out is a tool. The concept is the same as the left hand drill bit. The tool is trying to dig into the bolt while the tool is twisting counter clockwise. As the tool is digging in, the bolt is twisting out. Here's an example: http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

Post Thanks / Like

now am i going to have to get a new set screw for that module? if i use this tool?