Thread: martin firecat 2008 loosing speed

flnative75

Default martin firecat 2008 loosing speed

about 6 months ago I put down my bows for a little beucae of a knee injury (torn ACL) the last time I chrono my firecat I was shooting 318fps with 8.7 epic eastons 100 grain field points at 63lbs 28 1/2 draw length.
    I pick up my bow for the first time and chrono at local shop and speed shows 262 nothing changed ?????????? how is this?

Post Thanks / Like

Same chronograph ? Shoot thru the same zone? Don't know much about these things except that you need to shoot in the same area every time or you'll get different speeds. Where your strings and cables streched out? 56 fps seems like a lot to lose.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

buckslayr

I would say the chrono is in error, if your arrows weigh 8.7gpi no way were you getting 318.It sounds just like my pro chrono. when I'm shooting through it it will read 260 to 270, then all of a sudden it will read 323-326 for a couple shots,I don't know the reason but I'll bet that is what happened to you.If I keep shooting through it it will return to the lower readings which is what is correct or at least close, hope this helps clear up the mystery/

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't think it would be cable creep. Nor the string for that matter. They just don't creep that much.

Were you using the same chrono? How was the lighting? Lighting can have a profound effect on what the chrono sees crossing over it. Who knows? Maybe the chrono is wrong both times. Too fast the first time and too slow the second.

I don't know about you, but I can personally tell a difference in that much speed. 318 is buzzing along pretty well and you should be able to tell a drop of 56fps.

If you had the bow set up and sighted in then you should be able to just shoot it and see if your sight marks or pins are showing the speed loss. If the pins/sight marks on on then I wouldn't worry about it.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

flnative75

Default fps

The first chrono was done outdoors and about mid day on a very very good chrono the second chrono was a hand held but the reason why I questioned it was because the other bows that were chrono'd were around the same speed give or take a few fps. a good friend of mine said if there is enough string and cable stretch the speed will chang ebut not that much. I am putting a new set on, hopefully this will get it back up or maybe I am just worried about a handheld chrono that is reading wrong. I dont know ? I didnt see any shot change when I shot again . oh well as long as I drop that buck in ILlinois this fall I dont care if its 3fps lol thanks for the heads up guys !

eldermike

If your 30 yard pin is still on the speed is the same. That's a sure way to see lost speed. Arrow drop changes with speed.