Thread: Help shooting a Martin Rebel recurve....

whitetailfreak

Default Help shooting a Martin Rebel recurve....

I am having trouble shooting my Martin Rebel recurve. I am a novice recurve shooter. When I draw my arrows back to shoot they keep jumping off to the left which causes the arrows to not go where they are supposed to be going. Any suggestions?

davydtune

Sounds like you are torquing the bow or maybe torquing the string. Try to keep your bow hand nice and relaxed on the grip and make sure your getting a nice smooth release with your shooting hand.

newt2archery

when that happened to me my instructor told me it was because I was holding the nock. As soon as I spread out my pull fingers a little it stopped.

Post Thanks / Like

That would be my first guess to. You cannot torque a recurve bow so much that an arrow jumps off.

Are you using a tab or shooting glove or anything like that?
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

eldermike

arrow spine to stiff. What arrow are you shooting?. Vanes or feathers?

Post Thanks / Like

Does this happen as you are drawing the bow? My first thought would be that you are not getting enough of your fingers into the string when you draw. By that I mean that, whether glove or tab, that when you grab the string and as you draw you have to curl your fingers tighter to maintain the grip on the string. As you do this it causes the string to roll. If the nocks are tight on the string or between your fingers then the arrow will roll with the string.

Try getting a deeper grip on the string from the beginning, in toward the second joint of the fingers. As you draw the bow the string will naturally roll closer to the first joint, which will roll the string the oppsite way and the arrow will roll more into the bow.

Hope this makes some sense and hope it helps.

For what it's worth I haven't shot fingers for nearly 35 years, but this is something I didn't forget.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver