Thread: M-Pro cam timing.

jujuscisyn

Default M-Pro cam timing.

Ok, this subject has been beat to death but I'm a glutton for punishment and have serious "need to know" issues. Cam timing on the M-pro. I've seen 1/10 of an inch of groove showing on a V-pro thread. I've seen 3/8 of an inch everywhere, and I've heard Mark talk about advancing the cam 4 degrees. What is the correct timing on this beast? Will advancing the cam to say 5/8 or 7/8 of an inch string groove speed it up. Not that I'm doubting anyone just that to advance the thing you kinda have to have a starting point. 3/8 of an inch of string groove that everyone uses as the baseline seems a bit arbitrary to me. Are the holes in the cam just to hold it for machining or do they actually serve as timing marks? I'm not bashing, I love my cheetah and I love the M-Pro. But if I can squeeze it, I'm gonna. More speed with the same smooth draw cycle sounds good to me. I just need to know where the cam timing starts. Where it is most efficient, and where you reach the point of diminishing returns( where advancing the cam anymore actually hurts performance). Thanks a million in advance (excuse the pun) and if I gain zero feet per second that is fine by me. I just want the cam to perform to its greatest potential.

eldermike

I could be wrong........please take that to heart; but on single cam bows a slack/tight cable could change letoff or draw length but not speed. All the energy for the shot is in the limbs, so I don't see you getting more speed by making cam adjustments. On dual cams synchroniztion is important, it's often confused with timing.

jujuscisyn

I'm really not looking for a right or wrong answer. I understand that cable and string twists can effect a2a, draw weight, let off and a myriad of different things. What I'd really like to know is where this cam is most effecient, a2a, brace height, draw weight, tiller and such being as close to specs as can be. I've seen it all, like I said, a 10th of an inch on a vpro cam'd bulletx, 3/8 of an inch everywhere, and 5 to 7/8 of an inch for an advanced mpro. Checking the string groove for timing seems very subjective to me. I didn't know if there was a better animal. Thank you, this really is a curiosity thing more than anything. My bow shoots great and I am very pleased with it, but I tinker.

Hoosieroutdoorsman

Play with your draw stop, twisting the string and cable can lead to overtwisting and that will prematurely wear them out. I have mine set just slightly forward where the bow is pulling my hadn at full draw and she is quick as lightning and still easy to hold.