Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firecat W/ C.A.T. Cams

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
    Thank you!
    It would be about perfect if the ATA was 38"

p.s. I read in one of your old posts that you only have a tied-on nock set and meta-peep on your string. Do you shoot with a release right off the string?
    I shoot a Cascade model 8 marketed by Spot Hogg. It's a rope release. I wrap the loop around the string and hook it up, slide the rope right up against the bottom of the nock. I've been using this style of release (rope) for field, target, hunting, and 3D for about 30 years. Been shooting this model 8 for nearly 10 years. One thing I can say. The rope does not wear out the center serving nor does the rope wear out. I've never changed the rope on the release.

I quit using wrist strap releases many years ago. I tried several and found that they stretch me out too far. The Cascade is fairly small so fits my small hands very well. Most T handle releases are too big for me.

I had to edit this. I'm in complete agreement about a 38" bow. I'll be picking next year's bow very carefully, probably a custom build. Maybe an S4 mag with mini-Cat cams. Just a thought.

If I ever change to a string loop I'll most likely give the Saturday Night Special a real workover., but being in the twilight of my shooting career I don't see that happening. I've got three Cascades and three back tension releases. Can't see spending $110 on something I might not like.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

they make mini cat cams????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jake-the-snake View Post
    they make mini cat cams????
    Sshhh... Quite please.

Post Thanks / Like

According to Laura, whom I met this weekend the answer is YES. She is shooting a Warthog with mini-Cats at a 24" draw. If you check the catalog specs the advertised draw on the Warthog is 27" to 31".

That's the reason I didn't get one. Had I only known.......... I sure would have preferred to have that extra 3" of A2A.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Now I have to eat crow. Just talked with PUG and he informs me that mini_cat cams were built specifically for Laura and are not, at this time, available. Bummer. I would have liked to build a new toy.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

RogerSr

Hey Fisher,
    Whats your draw length? I thought you have a firecat, how much shorter is the draw length on it then the warthog?

Post Thanks / Like

I shoot bows with about 26 1/2" draw, give or take a touch. 4 years ago it was 27 1'2" but I've learned more and more as the years go by. Anyway, I got my FireCat last year and found that it draws a measured draw length of 26 5/8" on the #1 setting and ten extra twists in the string, so probably 3/4" longer than advertised.

The advertised difference between the Warthog and FireCat is 1". Warthog is 27" vs 26" for the FireCat (on the short setting). Therfore I opted for the Moab this year to see what all the hoopla was about the MPro cam being so easy to draw. IMO it isn't much different than the FireCat and the FireCat is 15-20 fps faster at the same poundage. I just shoot the Cat better, that's all.

What the heck. I might as well ramble on. Do you ever see some posts asking about nobody using overdraws anymore? Well, it's not an add-on anymore, but compared to the days it was today's bows are so severely reflexed that the overdraw effect is built right into the riser design. And as we know, the more the reflex, the more torque-y a bow becomes. Essentially sacrificing accuracy for the lust for speed.

I'm throwing around some ideas for next year's bow being as I'm not the speed freak I once was. I'm thinking of maybe a Scepter riser with May (14") limbs and Cat cams, or mini-Cat cams if they become available for us common folk. This might be a good balance between speed and accuracy and still fit my draw length with a longer A2A bow, somewhere in the 38" length.

It's just a thought at this point. Who the heck knows what Martin will come out with next year.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver