Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can a moderator or staff member elaborate on...

Gutpile

Default Can a moderator or staff member elaborate on...

What is the difficulty or added expense in terms of design to include a module in the design of a bow that allows it to have a 32" in draw length? I know Martin has two models that go to 32" inches, the Scepter and Mystic I think.

THe scepter's A2A is 43" and the Mystic is not even available in camo, so neither is ideal for a treestand hunter. The options are really limited. I think Bowtech has 1 model, Hoyt has a few, Mathews just a few, nothin from Parker, PSE, Ross, Bear, Diamond, etc. I understand that there are a ton of guys my size, but why not a 32" module?

Please enlighten me.

Post Thanks / Like

Although im not a moderator or staff memeber, i think the reason for not having a 32" module is because the demand for them is very small, you will see so many more shooters shoot 27 to 29 or 30 but usually not to many people go past 30"...i also know that you can shoot a bow a lot better that is one inch short in draw length, than one that is too much...

Gutpile

Quote Originally Posted by Jake-the-snake View Post
    Although im not a moderator or staff memeber, i think the reason for not having a 32" module is because the demand for them is very small, you will see so many more shooters shoot 27 to 29 or 30 but usually not to many people go past 30"...i also know that you can shoot a bow a lot better that is one inch short in draw length, than one that is too much...
    A bow that doesn't fit doesn't fit, period. I wish a designer could speak to the cost of including a 32" draw module. Seems simple, then dealer can just get a full set of modules and adjust the DL of a bow off the shelf to allow folks of different sizes to shoot bows. That way they don't need and extra bow in stock, just swap out the module and viola it's a 32" draw length.

I cant even go to a store and shoot a bow. NOONE carries a 32" left handed bow.

Post Thanks / Like

Your 6'7" and have a wing span of 80" ?
    I aint messin with you...

Post Thanks / Like

I just be an average schmuck - but - the cam's/idler (whatever) has to be sized different also, otherwise you will just over rotate them and lose the performance. Bow builders make 'mini' cams to shorten the draw length for people that have short draw lengths and like stated above - to build long draw bows would require a 'maxi' cam and there just isnt the demand to machine/design a whole nother cam.
    Then there is always the option of buying parts and building whatever suits you...

RogerSr

First, the Mystic is available in camo, and their are engineering reasons for not having a 32" draw on the short A2A bows, the Scepter has a long draw because it has a longer A2A length, I have built bows by swapping risers or limbs and cams, in all manner of combos and their are some things that just don't work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gutpile View Post
    A bow that doesn't fit doesn't fit, period. I wish a designer could speak to the cost of including a 32" draw module. Seems simple, then dealer can just get a full set of modules and adjust the DL of a bow off the shelf to allow folks of different sizes to shoot bows. That way they don't need and extra bow in stock, just swap out the module and viola it's a 32" draw length.

I cant even go to a store and shoot a bow. NOONE carries a 32" left handed bow.
    Addressing the first paragraph here: All Martin bows that come with MPro, M2Pro, or Dyna cams DO come with a full set of modules to fit within their stated draw length range. Most of those up to 30' and a couple might make 31". These are present models. Most of the Pro models that use the Cat cams come with a rotating model already installed that covers all but the longest inch of their draw length range. For that last inch you need the "long" module which has two settings.

As Roger said, you can get the Mystic in camo. Infact you can talk to Martin and get just about anything built that you desire. Depends on what you want to spend and whether it's in the realm of reality. The Scepter, being 43" A2A certainly does not preclude it from being able to be shot from a treestand. I remember when 48" to 50" was the norm and these we could shoot very well from a treestand. I did it and I'm only 5'8" tall. Most of the rhetoric you hear about having to have short bows to treestand hunt are from people who have never experienced the pleasure of shooting a longer bow and experienced their better shooting qualities and accuracy over their short cousins.

As you mention, there are but a handful of bows made that will make a 32" draw. The reasons are economical. It's because of all the people shooting archery or wishing to there are but a handful of people who need such a long draw. To build such bows takes completely new design and engineering and the amount of bows made and sold for such individuals wouldn't even cover the cost of the design work. Would you do it knowing you will lose money?

I haven't done any research because I have no need of a 32" draw, but if you look at the bows you mention I'd bet you'll find they are all longer A2A bows---unsuited to use from treestands by the standards some set for them. Being left handed compounds your problems of finding something suitable.

Some of the other problems you'll find with short bows is that cam lean and limb twist is more severe the shorter the bow. The longer the draw length the worse it gets as the bow is drawn. I see more problems with cam lean, cables being frayed, string wear and other nasty things, simply because bows are getting too short creating more severe string/cable angles.

Tell ya what. Just for giggles get on Archery talk and PM LeEarl. Tell him what you want and see what he says. There isn't much he hasn't done with Martin bows and some others.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Gutpile

Another issue is shooting prior to buying. I can get a shop to order a bow for me whether its a Hoyt, Martin, Mathews etc...but I am basically having to order and pay for a bow without ever having even held it in my hands.

Gutpile

Quote Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
    Your 6'7" and have a wing span of 80" ?
    I aint messin with you...

Just shy of 6'6" with very long arms and a broad chest. Sport Jacket size is a 46 Xtra long. I have considered just reaching out and choking them to death.

Gutpile

"I haven't done any research because I have no need of a 32" draw, but if you look at the bows you mention I'd bet you'll find they are all longer A2A bows---unsuited to use from treestands by the standards some set for them. Being left handed compounds your problems of finding something suitable."

HOyt has 3 models with an A2A of 37" or less than go to 32"

I understand the relative low demand for 32" draw bows. I have an old Firecat from 1996, it came with several draw modules that would allow to it range from 27 inches or so all the way to 33". It was a long A2A bow for sure. Heavy as hell too. My questions I dont think has really been answered.

If a manufacturer is making a model that has 5 modules allowing it to range from 28-31". What additional engineering is needed other than the size/shape of an additional draw module is needed to allow it to go to 32"?

The warthog has a long draw mod that covers 30.5-31" , man just need one more inch.

ALso Martins website does not list camo as an available riser color in the Mystic, I was just going off of that info.