Thread: Saber riser breakage

Hybrid View

oldguy

Question Saber riser breakage

New to this type of forum, so please bear with us . . .

Anyone had any experience with the riser breaking on the Martin Saber? Was at a 3-D shoot with my wife and in the middle of the full draw the riser broke at the handle. Luckily no one was injured - - however we have heard of 4 others in our area that have broke. Anyone else heard of this oddity?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, sure. This is a well known issue with Sabers that are not made out of alloy. Since 2009 every bow - also the saber - is cnc machined.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

oldguy

Default Martin Sabers breaking

Ok since this is a well known issue, is Martin doing anything about the bows that are in circulation? I purchased 2 of these bows for my sons about 2 years ago. Should I be concerned about these bows breaking as well? I have emailed Martin 2 different times and had no reply to my emails. I have also called and received a message that I would be called back in the order that the call was received. That was about 2 weeks ago and I'm pretty frustrated at this point.

Post Thanks / Like

oldguy, I'm an old guy, too and really can't help you out with this particular issue. Best I can tell you is to call customer service again and hopefully get through to somebody.

I know the Saber riser used to be cast. Whether they are machined now is not something I'm aware of. I know that way back when metal risers came into vogue they were all cast and broken risers were fairly common. During any casting process it only takes an air pocket or two for trouble to happen.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

ANTONIOJOSEQUINTANA

Default Newcomer

I have just bought a martin sabar very nice bow but now i'm concerned??? Any more information would be appreciated.

Thank you
    antonio

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ANTONIOJOSEQUINTANA View Post
    I have just bought a martin sabar very nice bow but now i'm concerned??? Any more information would be appreciated.

Thank you
    antonio
    Don't worry about unless it happens. Just shoot and enjoy.

I need to make a correction to my earlier post. Instead of saying brken cast risers became common back in the 70's and early 80's I should have said it was more common than with machined risers of today. Breakage was still not very common.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

oldguy

Quote Originally Posted by ANTONIOJOSEQUINTANA View Post

Thank you
    antonio
    Martin replaced the bow without any hesitation, the rep who was onsite at the time was very accomodating and kept his word.

We currently have 5 Martin bows in our family and 2 are sabers, which we will continue to shoot. I really liked the Saber because it was easy to shoot and very forgiving and accurate. We've had Martins since the mid-80s and would not hesitate to buy another Martin if the opportunity presents itself.

Enjoy your bow and shooting, because we intend to.