Thread: idler lean

buckslayr

Default idler lean

I just put a new string on my Cheetah, it came with a sliding yoke on the down cable.I can't get the idler lean out of it and it is off about 3/8" at the nock from paralell. Can I get it to tune with that much lean in it,I haven't walkback tuned it yet, just put it on and see the lean, thanks

Post Thanks / Like

yeah i would just watch it though, not a serious problem but if it bothers you then you then you can play around with it, it affects accuracy very little if none at all so i wouldnt worry about it...enjoy shooting

Post Thanks / Like

Question. Are you saying the cable has a floating yoke like on Hoyt bows? If so then ther is nothing you can do to straighten the idler. You can twist up the right side of the yoke, but as you shoot the bow a floating yoke system will just self center itself again.

Me? I'm picky about such things and consider idler lean detrimental. I always take care of this before I even set the bow up, or should I say it's part of the initial setup.

You can try it as is and see what happens. Nothing to lose at this point.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

RogerSr

I agree with bfisher, and consider taking care of idler or cam lean as part of the initial setup, I'm also very picky about such things, and will not shoot a bow with this kind of problem, as you will never get the kind of accuracy I demand of my bows.

Post Thanks / Like

im not saying that idler lean isnt a problem, but if its little it doesnt affect much at all if anything, i use to have a c4 cougar with the original m-pro and that had about the same amount of lean, but i was still stacking arrows at 40 and 50 yards with it

Post Thanks / Like

Not debating with you, Jake. Just that in this day and age it's commonly known that a leaning idler wheel often results in sideways oscillation of the string. If paper tuning the result is many times a right tear that makes a peson pull his hair out, moving the rest all over the place with no appreciable change in the tear.

If a person can do it it's just one of those details that, if addressed, may result in a lot less frustration while tuning. That's why I say do it as part of the initial setup of the bow.

It's also one thing I look at when looking at new bows. I wouldn't purchase one with a cam that leans. Idlers can be straightened out, but if the the cam leans you're stuck with it.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

oldschoolcj5

Default so, enlighten me

I posted here because I didn't want to start a new thread with the same title, but I don't want to highjack your thread either.

How do you fix idler/cam lean on a Firecat or any bow that does not have a split yoke?

thanks
    Mike
    Last edited by oldschoolcj5; 08-24-2009 at 06:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolcj5 View Post
    I posted here because I didn't want to start a new thread with the same title, but I don't want to highjack your thread either.

How do you fix idler/cam lean on a Firecat or any bow that does not have a split yoke?

thanks
    Mike
    In short? You don't. As posted above, a little bit of lean isn't all that bad, but if it is bad then a trip to your dealer or a call to customer service is what I'd recommend---for new limbs. One of the downfalls of a cam system that can't be adjusted.

I've said it before and I'll say it again in the hopes others become aware of it. "If you are looking at any single cam or Binary cammed bow be sure to look at whether there is any CAM lean or if the idler lean is severe. If there is then don't buy that particular bow".

This does little to help with those who have purchased such a bow, except to help with future purchases. That's why I advise making a list of things to look for or find desirable in bow purchases and make note of what is found in each bow.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver