Thread: Ye old archery proshop

michaelg

Default Ye old archery proshop

back in the days before we all had computers,before you could purchase a bow online, we all went to our local pro shop. and let the real pros do the work and do it correctly,and the fee was very little. BUT IT WAS DONE CORRECTLY.

i am on this site almost every day and it never fails. someone always says
    "go to archery talk and download..."

most of the workers at your local box retailer are usually kids that can only mount rest, sights ect. they do not know how to properly tune a bow, but they have alot of people fooled out there because most of the new shooters know nothing at all so they will believe what ever is told to them.

please take your bows to a PRO SHOP. they KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING.

ITS NOT THAT MUCH MORE EXSPENSIVE AND ITS DONE RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.

Post Thanks / Like

While I agree with you mostly. I've been in and actually worked in a box store and there are a few that know what they are doing. I've also been in "pro" shops that had personnel that didn't have a clue. The results are quite evident when being out and seeing people shooting draw lengths several inches too long and too much weight, incorrect spined arrows and such.

It can be really tough for a neophyte as how the heck is he to know who is good and who isn't, no matter which store they work in. What the biggest thing I see people do wrong is go out and spend upwards of $1000 on archery equipment and then get on the internet and ask others what they think. They should have done a ton of research before even stepping into a store to look.

Yes, the internet isn't always the best as getting opinions from "whoever" doesn't lend much credence as to that persons ability or expertise.

Just like all the questions asking about shooting form and/or tuning. Instead of asking on the internet most would be well served to seek out a local archery club and find some good target shooters who are willing to help---and most are willing. There are just more choices at a club than at a local shop, but I agree that a person has to rely on somebody.

I don't say box stores are good or bad, but I think they are more suited to people who know what they are doing, but these are the people who patronize their local proshop anyway as the box stores don't even carry many of the things they want. Unfortunately it works just the opposite.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

eldermike

I think the internet has taught new shooters more than proshops ever did. But that's just my opinion.
    Box stores are no better than the people who work in them, some are great, some not so much. But it's the people not the store.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
    I think the internet has taught new shooters more than proshops ever did. But that's just my opinion.
    Box stores are no better than the people who work in them, some are great, some not so much. But it's the people not the store.
    I agree there's a lot to be learned on the internet. Separating the good from the bad is the problem. So many opinions, but one can never see the experience level of the guy on the other end. And I take very little stock in people who profess to "just bowhunt". For setting up and tuning equipment I want to find the best target shooter I can. Yeah, target shooting isn't bowhunting, but the mechanics of shooting and tuning are the same in either venue. Frankly, howhunting and shooting are two completely different things. A deer is just a different target is all.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

michaelg

it all depends on the pro shop. i beleive you can learn alot better, faster, and for sure the saftey from a person rather than a computer screen. hands on is always the best.
    most generally what is put online is just an opinion of a shooter. not that of a coach.
    most shops that have been around for a long time have coaches or instuctors in them and you will learn from them faster and better than you ever will off of the internet.

eldermike

I remember before the internet, I know you both do also. I learned the hard way because I could not afford to have simple things done by pros, and they would not always share information. I remember the back room type pro shop, while today they are out front.

I agree, the internet is filled with junk and mixed in there is some very useful stuff. I have also noticed that pro shops understand what they are up against today, and they tend to teach alot more than they once did.

Post Thanks / Like

Default pro shop

simple way to check out pro shop and box store put a dry bow string on bow that shows a little fuz actually only needs to be waxed take it to bow shop or box store and see what they say you woll be suprised by the answers.

BadgerND

I agree with bfisher. Target shooters know more about working on a bow than most other people. I have been very disappointed in the stores around here since my favorite shop shut down about 20 years ago. Anytime I want something, they don't have it and I have to order it. They can't measure draw length, don't stock any decent arrows, and I have yet to see any of their experts that know anything about tuning a bow.