Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing with draw length

newt2archery

Default Playing with draw length

I'm a beginner, and found the bow I want for taking backpacking and hunting small game, the Martin Rebel. Unfortunately I am a big guy (6'2"), with a 77" wingspan for a calculated 30.5" draw length. According to the specs the Rebel draws out to 29" which is too small for me.

If I were to use a trigger, would this have the effect of allowing me to use a smaller draw length comfortably? Does this make sense to do this? I'd rather not use a trigger, but if it allows me to comfortably and accurately use a small light bow, then I want to do it...

newt2archery

Default follow up question on draw weight

Also on the draw weight, would the rated draw weight be at the maximum extension of 29" for this bow?

Post Thanks / Like

I think you have been misinformed. The Rebel is a recurve and as such has no specific draw length. They can be drawn to whatever draw you prefer.All traditional bows are rated for draw weight at 28". Most of them will draw 2# more for each inch over 28" or 2# less for each inch shorter than 28".

I would highly recommend you shoot a few to see how they feel. Normally a longer bow will not stack up as quickly, meaning it will draw smoother and will have more speed (cast) at a given poundage with the same arrow.

Not trying to scare you away from the Rebel. Just give a few basic facts.

You shouldn't need a release to shoot it. In fact, most people who shoot traditional do so to keep away from releases, sights, and all the other gadgets us compound shooters rely on. It does add another dimension to shooting and hunting. One lost on some of us older guys and ever experienced by most of the younger set these days.

Don't know whether you plan on carrying the bow all the time, but if you plan on a lot of back packing you might also look at the Jaguar Takedown. It would break down nicely to fit in a pack if that is your desire. The Hatfield is the cream of the crop in the Take-down bows, but maybe a whole lot more than you plan on spending

Like I said, look at a few and shoot them for your own comparison. I know you'll end up a happy hunter no matter which you choose.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

newt2archery

Hi,

Thank-you very much for the advice!

When I read the product information for the Martin Rebel, it said something like: pulls smoothly all the way out to 29". My belief was that since my draw is 31", there would be a high stack up for me if I were to try to shoot by fingers.

I belong to a club, and there are lots of bows to try, but none of the recurves pull smoothly out to my full draw unfortunately.. They kind of feel like if I pull them out to my full draw I will damage them. The only one I can use is a Browning compound, so that is what I have been using.

I've taken a few lessons, and I was using a 25lb recurve bow that I could draw out all of the way. I guess I could try to buy that one.. I would like to learn the right way.

My ultimate aspirations are to be able to take a bow in or on a pack (for me takedown is good, but overall weight is most important) and be able to hunt grouse legally (min 40lb) with the minimum of gear from about 10 yards away (usual distance).

I had a look at the Jaguar, and it looks like a good bow at a good price, but I have been advised to start out with smaller draw weights, and it looks like the Jaguar minimum at my 31" draw would be approximately 51lbs, so I think that would be a bit much to start?

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I think you have been misinformed. The Rebel is a recurve and as such has no specific draw length. They can be drawn to whatever draw you prefer.All traditional bows are rated for draw weight at 28". Most of them will draw 2# more for each inch over 28" or 2# less for each inch shorter than 28".

I would highly recommend you shoot a few to see how they feel. Normally a longer bow will not stack up as quickly, meaning it will draw smoother and will have more speed (cast) at a given poundage with the same arrow.

Not trying to scare you away from the Rebel. Just give a few basic facts.

You shouldn't need a release to shoot it. In fact, most people who shoot traditional do so to keep away from releases, sights, and all the other gadgets us compound shooters rely on. It does add another dimension to shooting and hunting. One lost on some of us older guys and ever experienced by most of the younger set these days.

Don't know whether you plan on carrying the bow all the time, but if you plan on a lot of back packing you might also look at the Jaguar Takedown. It would break down nicely to fit in a pack if that is your desire. The Hatfield is the cream of the crop in the Take-down bows, but maybe a whole lot more than you plan on spending

Like I said, look at a few and shoot them for your own comparison. I know you'll end up a happy hunter no matter which you choose.

eldermike

You can get the Jag with lighter limbs if you give Martin a call.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
    You can get the Jag with lighter limbs if you give Martin a call.
    This might be an option; well worth a phone call to Martin.

To reach the minimum of 40# you could go with something that draws about 35#. At your length, if you actually draw it 31", you would be looking at an actual draw length of just about 40 to 41#, quite capable of taking down grouse.

I might add that if you can hit grouse on the wing your a way better shot than I.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

RogerSr

For me to hit grouse on the wing, i don't use a bow at all, i use a shotgun!
    if you do it with a bow, you are a better shot than i am also.
    Last edited by RogerSr; 08-26-2009 at 11:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RogerSr View Post
    For me to hit grouse on the wing, i don't use a bow at all, i use a shotgun!
    if you do it with a bow, you are a better shot than i am also.
    Hey Roger,

You're on here almost as much time as I am. You have too much time on your hands.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

RogerSr

Your right, I go out hunting deer in the morning and later in the day, but in the middle of the day it's to hot out side to be out there, it's deer season here right now, and it's hotter than hell! so I'm on here a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Have to take that back. I forgot that you're older than me. Must be retired with so much time on your hands you can't find enough time to do anything.

I gotcha about the heat. Not near as hot here in Pa. come hunting season, but I hate sweating in the early season. Ours doesn't open till about the beginning of October. Then if it's still too hot there's always fishing or some trip to the Caribbean for a scuba trip. It's always cooler 100' down in the water.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver