Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Playing with draw length

RogerSr

I am retired, our early season was last month,this is general season now, i see a lot of bucks, but none i want to shoot, i still have about 4 weeks, hoping to find what i want before then, if not I'll just have to shoot anything i can, but it is hot over a 100 most days, to hot for a old man to be walking around in the brush
    Last edited by RogerSr; 08-26-2009 at 01:22 PM.

newt2archery

Whoah, guys, come on, you are talking to a beginner here! I will admit I have had such fantasies involving snaro points and flu flus, and have even gone so far as to order a couple of Snaro points, but these are solely to give some credibility to the stories I make up about wing shooting!!!

Most shots are 10-20 yards and the grouse sits still!

The question I still don't really have an answer to is if it will be practical/advisable to shoot a Rebel drawn out to 31 inches. I'll try calling Martin and also ask about lower power limbs for the Jaguar...

By the way, I was out shooting today, and did find a recurve that I could draw back full ok.. I estimated my draw length based on the tip-tip distance /2.5 method, but as a check, I noticed today that a 31 inch long arrow was absolutely the smallest arrow I could shoot comfortably in the recurve I tried. Even 1/4 inch shorter and the tip would have fallen off behind the arrow rest. Is this a good verification that my draw length is indeed 31" ???

Quote Originally Posted by RogerSr View Post
    For me to hit grouse on the wing, i don't use a bow at all, i use a shotgun!
    if you do it with a bow, you are a better shot than i am also.
    Last edited by newt2archery; 08-26-2009 at 01:25 PM.

newt2archery

Well, tried calling Martin Archery a couple of times, no answer... Guess it must be hunting season there too!!!

newt2archery

Anybody able to help? Will the Martin Rebel stand up ok to drawing it out to 31"

Post Thanks / Like

What time did you call them? You know they are on Pacific Standard Time.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

newt2archery

Was about 2 in the afternoon Pacific Daylight Time...

They were very clear that they answer the messages in the order received, that they answer all messages, and not to call back a second time, but they still haven't responded...

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    What time did you call them? You know they are on Pacific Standard Time.

newt2archery

Hi, I did get a call back from Martin today, they said that it's really pushing it with this bow to draw 31".. Also maybe more importantly, he said I would have a lot of trouble getting a clean release...

I really like this bow though, such a nice finish and so small and light... What about using a release to adjust the draw? I would ideally like 40#, so if I drew 31 but there was 5" taken up by the release is this a suitable way to solve the issue? (The bow is 40# at 26"...)

Post Thanks / Like

The most you lose on draw length with a rlease is about an inch. You still draw the bow back to about 30". The only thing that changes is your facial contacts, which we commonly call anchor points. Your drawing hand will be farther back along your jaw bone with the first knuckle of your drawing hand just under the ear lobe.

The one advantage of a release is that you will be able to get a consistently clean release from the string and you won't experience any finger pinch.

Not near as quick if you plan on any type of snap shooting. I've never shot release without a sight. Usually your anchor points are lower than with fingers so the arrow is much lower than your eye so you can't gun-barrel the arrow. I guess if you practice it enough you could get good at it, though.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver