Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: String hitting CCS

srwven

Default String hitting CCS

My 09 bengal is starting to show signs of wear on the serving well above my arrow. In line with it is the CCS so I am assuming the string is slapping the CCS. Is this a problem? I put a little wax on the area hoping it may cut down on the wear. I also had to do away with my truball double ball bearing because it was slapping the CCS and leaving a heck of a scratch on it. The CCS screws are tight too, I checked them. No problem for me to replace the serving every so often (not there yet) but just wanted to make sure there isn't a problem. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

It shouldn't be hitting the CCS, period. Can you put an STS on the bow? This would be the best fix and a permanent one at that. It should also make the bow a bit more quiet. In the interim you could, if you haven't aleady, put a set of Cat Whiskers on the string. This should dampen things down a bit.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

srwven

It came with the CCS and STS package on it. I am waiting on the new head for my release to switch over to the loop method (I currently have the two ball setup on my string which may add alot of weight to the string causing it to hit the CCS). Once that is switched over I will see if the string still hits. As for the STS-that rubber stopper needs improvement. Mine wasn't stopping the string-the string goes past it and causes the rubber to fly off and bounce across the yard(that was fun finding it a few times). I finally had to bend the rod a bit to get it to center better. Now the rubber is falling apart. I think I am going to replace it with a bigger diameter rubber stopper. What could cause the string to hit the CCS?

bwollard

That seems really strange that the shooting string would be able to travel far enough in to slap the ccs, with the sts on the string cannot continue forward past it if it is installed correctly. As for the rubber stopper flying off that is fairly common but it comes from not having the string centered on the center of the rubber pad, so the string torques the side of it flipping it off when the string begins traveling back to its resting position. I have one on my bow, but i made mine myself in my garage for about 5 bucks. To help keep my rubber stopper on i used some latex bathroom caulk inside the stopper, and it has done the trick.
    Try centering the sts and post whether or not it still hits the ccs.

Oh.... just thought of something else, Bigger does not mean better on the sts! Bigger sometime means harder to center, essentially meaning easier to torque of of the rod.

srwven

Just shot some more tonight. It is definitely hitting the CCS. The beeswax I rubbed on the serving where it was hitting is now on the little c clip that holds the little rod that goes through the little pulleys on the ccs. The rod for the STS is a straight rod, so you can't center it. I had to remove it and put a slight bend in it. The only thing I can think of is the double ball knock for my truball release makes the string heavy enough to cause it to go forward enough to hit the CCS. Once the new head comes in I am switching over to the loop release and getting rid of the double ball knock. That is the only thing I can think of at this point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by srwven View Post
    Just shot some more tonight. It is definitely hitting the CCS. The beeswax I rubbed on the serving where it was hitting is now on the little c clip that holds the little rod that goes through the little pulleys on the ccs. The rod for the STS is a straight rod, so you can't center it. I had to remove it and put a slight bend in it. The only thing I can think of is the double ball knock for my truball release makes the string heavy enough to cause it to go forward enough to hit the CCS. Once the new head comes in I am switching over to the loop release and getting rid of the double ball knock. That is the only thing I can think of at this point.
    I did some checking last night and you are right. That TrueBall release hookup on the string is what's causing the problem. That's a ton of weight where it doesn't belong---right in the middle of the string. It's robbing you of a bunch of speed and what it's doing is catapulting the string forward into the CCS at the shot.

You probably didn't have this problem with a bow with cable rod/slide. Unfortunately the CCS is right in the strings path and the bow is experiencing severe over travel.

Personally I would change releases and put string loop on the string which is what you plan to do anyway.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

srwven

Yeah, I ordered a new head (heads are interchangeable) for the release to use a loop. Shame, I really loved that release! Oh well, atleast it's the same handle. Did you find its weight somewhere? I perused trubals sight and couldn't find it, but I figured two metal balls with a little piece of metal between have to weight a decent enough amount to throw that string forward. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

No, I didn't even bother to look for the weight. Just figured using a little common sense and 35+ years of experience tells me what was going on. AND, being a one-time speed freak I know what happens when unncessary weight is on the string.

Somebody might help me with this, but there are some videos floating around that show in very slo-mo just what happens to the string when the bow is shot. See this and then add about 35-50 grains more to the middle of the string and it's no wonder it's catapulting forward---STS or no STS.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

srwven

Yeah, I saw a video like that a loooong time ago before dual cams, etc. and was amazed by how much the string moved. Just getting back into archery after about a 15 year hiatus. The technology is amazing, and so are the prices.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, the prices can certainly knock your socks off. Especially when choosing upper models from certain other manufacturers. Bows in the $700 to $900 are getting to be very common, much like SUV's with all the bells and whistles.

Just so much for bragging rights. So many gadgets that the owner will never use or even learn how to use. It's much the same with bows. Guys spedn the big bucks having no idea of even knowing something so mundane as to how to turn the weight up or down. Oh yeah, but they have the biggest baddest, fastest bow on the planet. Never mind that the draw length is 3" too long and the poundage is 10# more than they can handle. Again----something quite common.

One thing I like about Martin and a couple other companies. You can start at about $300 and go up to $1000, but there's a bow to fit everyone.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver