Thread: Jaguar adjustability

mrmoc

Default Jaguar adjustability

I ordered a Jaguar from a dealer at 50#. The info section said that the draw weight was adjustable. I have a 31# draw length and i was wondering if i should step down to a 40#. With a 40# I'll be holding 46#; with a 50#, 56#. If I can dial the 50# back to 40# I'll have more versatility. I plan to hunt deer with this bow and I want to be sure I have enough poundage to get good penetration AND fairly flat trajectory. Is the Jaguar adjustable amd how is it done?

Post Thanks / Like

You're talking about the Jag recurve, of course. I was just looking at this last night and it seems the lightest weight you can get it at is 45# without getting a custom order. At that you would get about 50# at your draw and this is enough for hunting deer sized game. Many have been killed with less.
    In fact, I have read of Elk being taken with as little as 55#.

I don't know this for a fact, but looking at the catalog pictures it appears that the Jag has limb pockets similar to a compound bow so I almost imagine that the limb bolts can be backed off the same way.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

RogerSr

Fisher,
    I've killed Elk with 50# bows, more then once, but they were compound bows. in the state I live in we have all three types of Elk.
    Last edited by RogerSr; 08-30-2009 at 09:23 PM.

deanrm

On the Jaguar Recurve, the draw weight is not adjustable. You shoot that bow with the limbs tightened down all the way.

You need to see what you can comfortably shoot as far a poundage is concerned. If you are in questoin, I would error on the lighter side. You can learn to shoot with proper form and move to heavier limbs if necessary. If you truely are drawing to 31", that's probably about 8#-9# over list weight @28". You could kill deer with the 40#, espically at your draw length. Trajectory usually is not that big of a concern as your shots tend to be in the closer ranges with traditioinal gear.

Good Luck!
    Dean

SandSquid

I have (4) Jaguars in my stable and not one of them pulls the stated weight (as recorded on the limbs) at 28". Two of them are (stated) 30# and two (stated) are 40#. The kids in my youth group shoot the dickens out of them. I dare say I own the largest private collection of them

Now, you can shim under the limb at the bolt a bit and it will shave off a few# but it is going to jack up your brace height, which is not a bad thing...

After lots of tuning and building a few dozen strings for myself and other folks we have found the Jag's "sweet spot" w/ a 56" to 56.25" (actual) string and a 8" to 8.25" brace height.

Now, if you shim your limbs you are going to decrease preload and increase brace height, both of which are good things with your gorilla arms. Of course your warranty will be the window should anything bad happen because of it.