Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: arrow spine question

BrownOut

Default arrow spine question

I'm currently using 5575 arrows that are 29" on my Firehawk that is set at 65lbs and a 29" draw. If I crank it up to 70lbs will my arrows be underspined? I've seen some chart that say 5575 is appropriate while others recommend 7595. I've also done some reading that say aggressive cams require a stiffer arrow, in my opinion the cat cams are pretty agressive, but have not seen any chart that differentiate between different cam types, they only seem to reference draw weight. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I would try some 7595's if you are going to shoot broadheads.
    Especially if yer going to shoot at 70# dw.
    They will make it a lot quieter also.

just me...

Post Thanks / Like

Check Easton's arrow selection charts to see how they compare. GT 5575 is a 400 spine--at least Easton marks theirs right. And FYI I do shoot Gold Tip arrows at times.

I think you'll find that in most cases your arrows are right on the upper end of weight range at 65# at 29". There is no doubt in my mind that should you go to 70# you'll need 7595, as they are a 340 spine. If you want what I consider to be a better choice in Gold Tips I would choose the Ultralite 22 series, a 300 spine.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

BrownOut

Appreciate the advice, think I'll be looking into some 7595.

Post Thanks / Like

If the 5575 flies well now and tunes OK with broadheads why not just leave well enough alone. 65# is more than you need so 70# would just be more of the same. Why lay out money for new arrows when what you have might work OK.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

BrownOut

That would be great, they seem to fly plenty consistent with field points but when I throw my Montecs on there things seem to get a little squirrelly. I'm new to bowhunting so they are the only broadheads I've used, never tried out any mechanicals, do they really fly that much better? I would much rather buy a pack of mechanicals than 12 new 7595s.

Bowhunting ain't cheap but I'm not complaining, wish my girlfriend felt the same way.

Post Thanks / Like

If you know how to tune the bow for broadheads you should be able to get those Montcs to fly. The arrows flying squirrely could be a spine issue or it could be a tuning issue. You need a copy of Easton's Tuning Guide. It'll explain most everything you need to know about tuning.

You can get mechanicals if you like, but you're still better off to get the bow tuned properly. I don't shoot enough weight to be able to use them, but I've always put myself behind the eight ball and tuned the bow to the nth degree, no matter what I shoot. Part of it is being pig headed, telling myself that this bow ain't gettin me. I will sometimes spend months tweaking a bow, bjust to get it right. Call it being pig headed or call it just being picky. I like to say it's taking pride in myself to take the time to learn what it akes to get everything right so that I know that the only problem is me when I make an errant shot.

For what it's worth, if you find that you have a slight spine issue (arrows too weak) then I would get new arrows before spending money on broadheads. Think about it. A dozen arrows cost about the same as 6 mechanical broadheads. You shoot broadheads a few shots each year. You get to shoot the arrows all year long.

Now, I used to be on Gold Tip's advisory staff so know a little about them. I still shoot them as I shoot my ACC's. My advice when looking at the Gold Tip spine charts is to rate them for 10# less than what you would shoot. In other words. In other words, for you, thinking of maybe going to 70#. Chart shows a 29" you would want a 5575 (400). Look down to 75-80# and you'll get the right arrow for you
    (7595). Their charts do not account very well for the aggressiveness of newer cams. If you do intend going to 70# you'll need them and you'll find they tune a little easier than the lighter 5575, especially with broadheads.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

BrownOut

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the advice, I'm learning something new everyday. I guess one concern is tuning the bow for the broadheads, at 65# with the field points I can make really tight groups, I initially assumed that I would get the same results with the broadheads being that they were all 100grain, but that was not the case. I guess they were accurate enough, but thats not good enough for me when I know how accurate the bow can be with the field points. If I can be more accurate with mechanicals and the bow will require less adjustment than a fixed blade broadhead than I guess that is worth it to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrownOut View Post
    I can't tell you how much I appreciate the advice, I'm learning something new everyday. I guess one concern is tuning the bow for the broadheads, at 65# with the field points I can make really tight groups, I initially assumed that I would get the same results with the broadheads being that they were all 100grain, but that was not the case. I guess they were accurate enough, but thats not good enough for me when I know how accurate the bow can be with the field points. If I can be more accurate with mechanicals and the bow will require less adjustment than a fixed blade broadhead than I guess that is worth it to me.
    Name your own poison. Although I don't use mechanicals, as I explained, I would never fault someone like yourself for using them if your goal is to get the best accuracy out of your setup

I do get a little perturbed with people who can't or won't tune their setups and just pick mechanicals as a bandaid for their inabilites or laziness to tune. Such doesn't seem to be the case with you.

Have a happy hunting season in any case, and good luck.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

NewNYBowhunter

Default Broadhead tuning

I have a couple of questions about the tuning of broadheads. bfisher, you say that the 5575 arrows might be too weak spined for a Firecat at 70#? I just picked up some 5575 Gold Tips for mine and wanted to use them for hunting. I'm down around 362-368 gr. on them and now I'm not sure from what you posted if they are the right arrows for broadheads. I haven't shot any broadheads with this bow yet, but last year, I shot both out of the same bow, (but a heavier arrow) and they flew pretty much the same, 411 gr. at 70#. are you suggesting I might be needing to get heavier spined arrows?
    I was also shooting 100 gr Muzzy fixed blade broadheads