Thread: Broadhead Flight!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Broadhead Flight!!!

anyone who can help me, there should be no reason for me having to ask this question as i shoot Slick Tricks, but tonite i decided to shoot some with a broadhead on...well i am shooting out perfectly to 40 yards, not an inch left or right or up or down, spot on....then at 50 i noticed i was hitting consistanly an inch low...not a big deal at all...then at 60, i was hitting 4 inches left and half a foot low my question is how does this happen im stacking my field points in a 4" group at 60 and 70 spot on...my question is what happened and how do i fix this...i have never had this happen to me before especially with slick tricks...i also paper and walkback tuned my bow before shooting the broadhead tonite and i was shooting perfect holes everytime, any help would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks, Jake

brushrat

Quote Originally Posted by Jake-the-snake View Post
    anyone who can help me, there should be no reason for me having to ask this question as i shoot Slick Tricks, but tonite i decided to shoot some with a broadhead on...well i am shooting out perfectly to 40 yards, not an inch left or right or up or down, spot on....then at 50 i noticed i was hitting consistanly an inch low...not a big deal at all...then at 60, i was hitting 4 inches left and half a foot low my question is how does this happen im stacking my field points in a 4" group at 60 and 70 spot on...my question is what happened and how do i fix this...i have never had this happen to me before especially with slick tricks...i also paper and walkback tuned my bow before shooting the broadhead tonite and i was shooting perfect holes everytime, any help would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks, Jake
    What are you at 140 yards???? JuSt KiDDiNg ! Maybe it's the wind.......

Post Thanks / Like

Have both - field and broadheads - the same weight?

If you are a righthand shooter and your arrows fly right those arrows might have the wrong spine when using broadheads insted of field points.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think it is the spine...I shoot a 27" CX maxima 350 and they are fine out to 50 but at sixty its out of wack, and yes they are all the same weight for broadheads and field points...100grains.

jujuscisyn

Sounds pretty good to me really, It is really hard to say what is causing this. The aerodynamic qualities of broadheads vs. fieldpoint (no matter what head you choose) will be exacerbated by distance. You have to consider that as this arrow moves downrange it is scrubbing off speed due to gravity and friction. This will impart different forces on a broadhead than a field point.

For example: That arrow screams out of the bow from 20 to 40 yards with minimal loss of velocity. Gravity, friction, broadhead planing don't have much time to act on the arrow. Now at 50 yards it starts dropping speed drastically this brings all of those forces into play on a whole different level due to ever diminishing velocity.

Remember this is also a function of arrow weight, ie. lighter arrows are faster but they lose velocity much quicker than heavier arrows.

Even barometric pressure, temperature, and elevation play a role on distance shooting. These forces as they relate to the archer are minimal and not worth mentioning usually.

I'd say that if the deviation is truly consistent, meaning it is repeatable each and everytime you shoot at those distances, I'd adjust my individual pins and pat myself on the back for being that accurate and consistent at those distances.
    Last edited by jujuscisyn; 09-03-2009 at 10:04 AM. Reason: spelling

eldermike

JuJu is right on here. Velocity loss curve with the heads will be different than with points. It's not going to show up much at close range but it's still there. You are shooting through a moving media, air. Time of flight = drifting in the wind.

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly don't know so these guys' explanations are as good as any. I'd just like to know why this bothers you unless you're just picky like me. I wouldn't think there's anything you're going to be flinging broadheads at out at 70 yards and I personally couldn't see any reason to practice with broadheads that far. I know it makes sense to practice that far just to perfect shooting form, but field/target points would suffice for this.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

its just more of a picky thing than anything, as i dont plan on shooting anything past 40 yards anyways and if im an inch low at 50 im fine, i just happened to notice that dramatic drop and it kinda got me thinking to much i think

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Too bad we dont live close. We could be friends cuz I over think and tinker way too much for my own good usually also ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jake-the-snake View Post
    its just more of a picky thing than anything, as i dont plan on shooting anything past 40 yards anyways and if im an inch low at 50 im fine, i just happened to notice that dramatic drop and it kinda got me thinking to much i think
    I kind of figured it was just for your own satisfaction. I'm kind of like that with bare shaft tuning. I have a bare shaft going out to 30 yards like it's laser guided. No planing or yawing, no thing. When I see it I see nothing but a nock going right for the bullseye. Fletched arrows fly right into the same hole almost. So I try 40 yards and the bare shaft planes up about 4" (nock low).

Now I could tinker and play with it, but my buddy says "Don't you ever quit?". So I get to thinking and ask my self "When was the last time a shot a 3D with bare shafts?" Yes, time to quit and just enjoy shooting.

The tough part to swallow is that now that I have it just the way I want it it's about time for new strings. Figures.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver