Thread: Martin Monster Buck Hunter Strings

chubbs24

Default Martin Monster Buck Hunter Strings

I am using a Martin monster Buck Hunter and love it! It is a 2007 model I believe and I am experienceing some string wear and did not know what size I would need to order to replace it. Also do certain brands of bow strings produce faster IBO speeds? I appreciate any help and feedback. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chubbs24 View Post
    I am using a Martin monster Buck Hunter and love it! It is a 2007 model I believe and I am experienceing some string wear and did not know what size I would need to order to replace it. Also do certain brands of bow strings produce faster IBO speeds? I appreciate any help and feedback. Thanks
    No string will produce higher IBO speeds unless you get faster strings and are shooting the bow at IBO specs. Being realistic, are there strings that can shoot faster? Yeah, maybe. There are strings made with lighter string material, such as BCY 8125, one of the fastest materials Also to be considered is how well the string was built.

Most people these days pick 452X for it's stability and no-stretch characteristics. They say it is more stable than 8125. I have found that a good string maker who does the job right can make a string from 8125 that is, for all intent and purposes just a stable as 452X.

I can state two different cases about changes in bow speed. Back in 2005 I had a custom built ShadowCat. I put a set of 8125 strings on that bow and gained 11 fps over the factory strings. The following year I got a P3 target bow. I replaced the strings with some premium aftermarket strings (8125)and gained NO fps----NONE. Nature of the beast.

So my experience is that there is no set answer. Some bows will and some won't. The biggest advantage I have always found with good strings is that they are more stable, meaning that the bow won't change it's tune near as much over time. Another is that normally you have less problems with serving separation. PLUS, you get to pick cool colors like pink and purple.

As for string size, do you mean lengths. That info should be on the sticker on the inner side of the bottom limb.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

NewNYBowhunter

Default On the subject of strings

How long will a set of factory strings on my '08 Firecat last? I just bought this bow this summer, and have only had the time to shoot it twice at the range. It was a still new in the box bow when I bought it, but it's a last year's bow. Will I have to change strings at the end of this season, or can I get a couple of years out of the factory strings?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on how many shots you'll shoot , but they should last about a year of intense use and much more of rare shooting. I've shot about...let's say 1000 or something like that shots and my string and cable look almost like when i've bought my MOAB.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

oktx

I would say if you shoot an average amount and keep the string waxed they should last at least 2 years.

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't get any cam lean issues or wear from hitting the module (some bows) then your string should last several years. The strings on the FireCat are Stone Mountain, one of the aftermarket string makers. I've had mine for about 1 1/2 years now and have about 10,000 shots on them. They are showing some wear and the serving around the top cam is beginning to separate some, but this does not lend itself to replacing the strings just yet. Sometimes it just means it's time to reserve them.

Keep your strings clean. Shoot the correct draw length so you don't hit your arm or sleeve. Wax them periodically (I do mine about four times a year). You can actually wax them too much. Most people do and all it does is gather dirt and grit which wears the strands prematurely. That's what wax on the outside of the string does. What's important is to work the wax into and between the strands.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver