Thread: Too short????

xlvmax

Default Too short????

Hello,
    I am in a predicament about my arrow length. My Martin is equipped with an overdraw rest. I recently purchased some new GT pros and am debating on how long to get them cut. yes i know this is a personal matter but just bear with me. If the arrows are cut 1 inch past the rest that would put them at just under 26" long. Do you think this is too short for broadhead stability? thanks, Any info is greatly appreciated, Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Having used overdraws when they were the "In" thing and shooting arrows as short as 21" I'd say that within reason the longer the arrow the more stable it'll be with a broadhead on it.

I know that overdraws became a part of the rchery scene to increase speed, but that was before the advent of today's lighter carbon arrows. They were not good for accuracy; you had to work to get it and the slightest mistake accentuated shooting mistakes. With today's carbon arrows the need for an overdraw just isn't necessary any more. Most rets mounted toward the rear of the riser and risers are much more reflexed than they once were. These two things pretty much give the same effect as an overdraw without having something else on the bow to come loose or in some way move.

Something else you might find is that, depending on what arrows you choose, the total arrow weight might not be sufficient to absorb the bow's energy, which causes undo stress and vibration within the bow itself. Do I need to explain the problems this can cause?

You do not have to take my advice, but I would scrap the overdraw to gain better accuracy and forgiveness. Move the rest onto the riser and leave your arrows long enough to ensure better arrow flight.

As an example, I used to shoot a 27 1/2" draw so my arrows were cut to 27". Today I shoot a 26 1/2" draw. I still shoot the same arrows because the length matches the spine I need for perfect arrow flight. I could cut them down to 24", but for what? The weight difference would only gain me about 3-4 fps and the arrows would end up too stiff for my draw weight.

Hope this helps some.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

xlvmax

Thanks alot for the info. I purchased the bow from a friend hat already had it equipped. I took the bow to the shop and they told me the same things you did. I took off the overdraw and purchased a QAD drop away. Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome. Sounds like you might have a decent shop there.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver