chola

Default What do ya think...tuning issues

Martin firecat at 27.5 DL
    Set approximately 65#...a turn and a half out from bottoming out at max
    Hostage capture rest
    Easton powerflights 400 8.9gpi and are 29"
    I am using a Fletcher release
    new strings and cables..broken in

I tried BH tuning yesterday.I had 100gr Montec fixed heads...could not get them to shoot .
    they were low and left by 6 inches each way from my field points...I moved the rest a bit at a time, seems to have made things worse.
    I think I may need some new arrows,something in the 340-350 spine range according to OT software..any advice?

My field points shoot great out to 40 yards. All my points and broadheads are the same weight.

Originally my DL was set a 28.5 and the draw stop was adjust by a tech to my 27.5 length. I opted to set the modules to the 27.5 mark and adjust my draw stop there.The bow feels much nicer now. I think i can buck atleast an inch off of the arrow as it hangs out a fair bit in front of the riser..am just looking for some ideas

Post Thanks / Like

You could probably knock 2" off the arrows, install new inserts, and try again. 27" arrow isn't going to hurt you and should match the spine to your bow better. And certainly cheaper than new arrows.

The rest wouldn't be my choice, as I don't like any type of containment, but that's a personal choice. I just feel that with capture rests you have to hold the follow-through more thoroughly.

Broadheads hitting low normally means a high nocking point. Left means a stiff arrow, but this might be backwards. When tuning always take care of the vertical first. Raise the rest or lower the nocking point. Then work on the horizontal. If you move the rest to one side and things get worse then move it the other way. And don't be afraid to turn the limb bolts. You'd be surprised at the results attainable by turning the weight up or down a couple pounds---again, cheaper than new arrows.

Take into account that poundage is nothing more than a number.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

chola

As always...I greatly appreciate the help and information bfisher

tommyhydro

Default hey

i shoot a 2K9 cheetah at 70lbs/30" w/ a trufire release and easton powerflight 340 @29" w/ 100 gr rage 2 blade and 100 gr G5 stryker(i carry 3 rage and 3 G5 in my quiver, deer/smallgame) i have no problem from field points to killin heads, maybe try to get the spine of your arrows right, also you could try switching vanes to say a twister or a quickspin in a 4"(more weight&spin)......hope this helps

masterofthese

Default Broadheads can be a disease

Hi. I don't want to insult your intelligence, but I have noticed a lot of people change their form when they shoot a broadhead. It seems like once they screw one on, they will start dropping their bow early to watch the shot, so they don't lose one of their high dollar 'heads. Before you do any tuning to your bow, I would try to 'trick' your mind into thinking the heads are really points. Mix your tips and heads up, put them in the quiver, and DONT pay attention to which one you are shooting. Then and only then, if heads and points don't group, try turning the heads slightly on some o rings, 1/16th inch at a time till they shoot straight. (broadheads are like adding an extra fletching to the arrow front) If that doesn't work, move your rest slightly towards the direction of the field points (away from the broadhead groups). Lastly, if you are shooting four blades, switch to three blades. Finally, try shooting a 25 grain lighter broadhead. You would be surprised how simple things like this can make all the difference. I learned it all the hard way.
    Best of luck....

eldermike

Sounds like a spine issue, I agree with cutting the arrows down as much as you can. Fletchings will hide this with field points by correcting the flight very early.

chola

Thanks for all the advice fellas...I lowered my knocking point down a bit at a time and had the broadheads coming in to a closer group finally. They are 3 blade Montecs.
    They are now shooting about 3" lower than my fieldpoints, but I ran out of darned light tonight so I had to pack it in.

I am shooting 4" quickspins for vanes...I'll muddle around in the AM and try some more.

On thing I did do however, was to get rid of my 4 inch target square and replaced it with a golf tee..I found it easier to focus on the tee rather than a larger target

brushrat

Quote Originally Posted by chola View Post
    Thanks for all the advice fellas...I lowered my knocking point down a bit at a time and had the broadheads coming in to a closer group finally. They are 3 blade Montecs.
    They are now shooting about 3" lower than my fieldpoints, but I ran out of darned light tonight so I had to pack it in.

I am shooting 4" quickspins for vanes...I'll muddle around in the AM and try some more.

On thing I did do however, was to get rid of my 4 inch target square and replaced it with a golf tee..I found it easier to focus on the tee rather than a larger target
    you may be there.... Sounds like you solved any rt & Lt. problems. Being 3" low at 40 yds. might just be the 4" quickspins losing velocity with the blades.