Thread: Would like to start doing 3d shoots

bubbacrabb

Default Would like to start doing 3d shoots

Hey fellas, Im looking at starting this 3d shoots. I live in Phoenix so I have been told we do this year round here, especially now that its finally bareable to head outside. What kinda yardage should I be desent out to? Is there many shots over 60 yards in this sorta thing? I have hunted with a bow for a while now, but never done anything but shoot at home and out of the stand. Sounds like a good time though. I just found out about this flex shoot they do so you have two different evenings a week you can shoot which sounds like a good set up for me. I guess they do it like leagues out here. I probably sound like an idiot, lol.

JohnnyThunder

I would like to know more about this too. There isn't much information to find about it on the web.

There are a couple of ranges in Alabama that have a walkthrough 3d course, so I will probably check those out once hunting season is over.

Fortunately they are buliding a new one in Heflin Alabama that should be ready in Spring 2010, and that one will only be 30-40 minute drive away from where I live and it will be maybe 10 minutes away from where we spend a lot of time hiking and camping in the spring.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bubbacrabb View Post
    Hey fellas, Im looking at starting this 3d shoots. I live in Phoenix so I have been told we do this year round here, especially now that its finally bareable to head outside. What kinda yardage should I be desent out to? Is there many shots over 60 yards in this sorta thing? I have hunted with a bow for a while now, but never done anything but shoot at home and out of the stand. Sounds like a good time though. I just found out about this flex shoot they do so you have two different evenings a week you can shoot which sounds like a good set up for me. I guess they do it like leagues out here. I probably sound like an idiot, lol.
    It has been a long time since I lived in Phoenix but when I did I used to shoot at the club out near Apache Junction. Great 3-D courses there!
    The longest shots were about 65yards but they had big targets for those (Elk, Kudo, etc.)
    If you go out there take plenty of arrows with you tho - it is desert and if you miss - it's nothing but rocks.
    I wish I still lived there because there are tons of great shops, indoor and outdoor ranges, clubs - - it's an archers paradise compared to where I live now.
    Something you really should go to is the Sunrise Shoot. It's held on the weekend closest to July 4th and is an increadibly awesome event!
    You ride the ski lifts up the mountain and then shoot your way down.
    They have a website you can look up.

Post Thanks / Like

All the years I've been shooting a bow, I never went to a 3D shoot until a friend of mine finally talked me into it just last January.
    The few 3D bowshoots I've been to since have had targets anywhere from 4yds out to about 60yds with varing steepness of up/downhill shots.

I'd say close to half or more of the shots have been between roughly 20 - 30yds
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

Post Thanks / Like

check out www.archerytalk.com and click on "forum". lots of 3d info there. it is my understanding the site was started by Martin sometime back in the stone age when GRIV was still shooting a bow and arrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Default it was

yes AT is run by martin...great sites
    As for 3D its is a lot of fun... my club runs differant types of them marked an unmarked..and the 3 a bow hunters tuneup its an un marked shoot threw stuff type shoot use your range finder if you wish.. or risk it and go with out...lot of fun to say the least. most shots are 20-40 with a few small game up close an elk / bison out to 65...
    Now on or about the 4th of july they hold the greater oregon safari. its a 2 day event shots range from 3 to 103 yards that one is on a Elephant...

http://www.cascadianbowmen.com/
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/