Thread: Martin Slayer Question

Default Martin Slayer Question

I purchased a used 2007 Martin Slayer with Nitro C cams and the question I have is if there is any way the cams can be adjusted for a longer let off "valley"?
    What happened is I went to the local archery shop to have them replace the cables and the string and also to change the length of pull from 30" to 31". They did a great job but when I came back home and started shooting my bow I noticed the "valley" at let off is very short - practically it begins to what I feel just millimeters before the pull ends. This is very unnerving as I cannot focus on the shot because this issue. The slightest hesitation from keeping the string pulled all the way back results in a jolt and sudden movement of the string forward which I have to counter by pulling back the string again. This struggling to keep things under control requires a lot of supplementary effort effort and results in bad shots. Is there any way, any kind of cam adjustment so the let off can be just a little longer and this problem can be corrected?
    Thank you,

Post Thanks / Like

Every modern bow with a speed cam will have the same "problem".

If you use a proper technique you will have no problem with that. The slow movement of your arm is called 'creeping' as your arm moves forward. You will have to build up enough tension to hold the bow at the letoff.

There is now effective way to change the draw cycle. You might pull too far behind so that you get problems with your muscle tension.
    (2) Martin ShadowCat 2010

Post Thanks / Like

My idea is to go back to 30" DL and lower the poundage a little- may be 3-6lbs -only temporary.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

jhoek

Had the same problem to the extreme with a Razor X modified to a shoot through with Nitrous B cams. It was really stiff, no valley, lots of creeping. It felt like there was no let off at all. Put the Dyna cam back on and now it feels great.

Post Thanks / Like

I experienced the same thing when I first started shooting an aggressive single cam years ago. I found that the problem was not the bow per se, but that the draw length was too long. So long that as I reached full draw and settled in I tended to creep just a hair to the point where the bow wanted to "take off". About ten twists in the string shortened it up enough (1/4") and the problem was solved.

My advice for you would be that, considering the cam can be adjusted in half inch increments to shorten up one hole and see how this works. If it feels a bit short then add a couple twists to the cables, which will over rotate the cam and give a little more valley.

Then get you a copy of "Core Archery" by Larry Wise. This explains the proper muscles to use and technique for drawing. In essense it says that once you start drawing the bow and establish back tension you should never let up (creep)., although it's explained a much greater detail.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver