Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long draws

Post Thanks / Like

Default Long draws

I just want to say that I envy all you long draw people. I wanted to say "hate" but that wouldn't be me. I'm talking about all you 29" to 31" guys. I'm stuck with something around 26.5" so I'm never going to get even close to the speeds you guys get. But then there's an upside to this. I will never ever break a limb or experience the amount of cam lean you guys have.

Hope you can all read this with a touch of humor. No hard feelings toward anybody. I have to play the hand that I was dealt.

Everybody have a nice day.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Coop

Default Us long draws(31.5")..

might have alittle more speed on the bow...but, try going to the clothing store, and find something that has the right length in the sleeves & pants.. good luck on that!! LOL
    Not to mention, going to the proshop and finding a bow to fit... another good luck.

Coop

Post Thanks / Like

So you maybe miss out on 35-40fps but never have any problems with your bow and it still shoots 40-45fps faster than what you were shooting just 10 years ago...
    I been bow hunting my whole life and for about 10 years was really into all the 3-D, target, spots, etc and was actually pretty good at it - with my old Martin that zoomed the arrows out there at 214fps.

Post Thanks / Like

BFisher is just a cranky man with short(er than mine) arms. Pay no attention to him.

just kidding Barry
    '09 Warthog, QAD HD, Sword Centurian, Scott Sabretooth

Dave308

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    might have alittle more speed on the bow...but, try going to the clothing store, and find something that has the right length in the sleeves & pants.. good luck on that!! LOL
    Not to mention, going to the proshop and finding a bow to fit... another good luck.

Coop
    Especially hunting cloths. I have to get 3x shirts so the sleeves cover my arms and pay the extra 15 or 20 bucks for long pants. Oh well, who said life was fair

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post

Coop
    x2

It gets really challenging to find a bow that will fit the real long draws here (31.5" too and that is with a wrist release.....). Luckily i will never have problems with clothing as the most people here in europe/germany are either small to midsize or huge....
    But as most bows are manufactured in the us...
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

It's nice that by "most people" you mean "people under 25 years" The older are normally tall, just the teenager mutants who you must raise your head to talk to
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

RogerSr

Fisher I know, I used to shoot 60-70# bows, but after braking my back in a motorcycle accident, and three back surgery's, not to Mention I'm older now,and shooting 50# at 28"DL, but the bows these days are faster so I have not lost that much, but a 31" DL would be nice.

hunter1964

I have a 31" draw and never broke a limb yet and the bow I am using is old, knock on wood.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
    So you maybe miss out on 35-40fps but never have any problems with your bow and it still shoots 40-45fps faster than what you were shooting just 10 years ago...
    I been bow hunting my whole life and for about 10 years was really into all the 3-D, target, spots, etc and was actually pretty good at it - with my old Martin that zoomed the arrows out there at 214fps.
    Not really. I actually was getting 284 fps from a 1992 Darton Viper that I bought as a leftover in 2003. I don't remember the specs. In fact I didn't even worry about it back then. I do know I was shooting 27.5" draw and 61# at the time. Overdraw and XX75 2112, target points. Paid $200 for the bow new.

And backing up some more, back in 1973 I was getting 232 fps out of a Jennings Arrowstar, 51#, 27 1/2" draw. The arrows were X7 Blue 1614 with target points. Even that small arrow was more than 5 gr/lb.

So as you can see arrow speeds haven't gone up as much as some people would think. Surely not as much as prices. That Arrowstar was Tops for the day and target color cost me $275.

Hey, it's been nice reading the other posts, too. It helps to see all the monkey armed guys have their own problems. Just kidding guys. I just wanted to break the monotany of all the tech talk and throw a little humor into the fray.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver