Thread: How do I grease my limb pockets?

BrownOut

Default How do I grease my limb pockets?

I'm hearing a creak before I reach full draw, I almost positive it coming from the limb pockets (top one I think). It doesn't happen every time I draw back more once every five maybe less, but I'd hate for it to happen while hunting and spook a deer. From what I've read this seems like a pretty common occurrence and not just with Martins, and the solution seems to be white lithium grease. But I'm not sure how I should apply it, do I need take the limbs off completely, or can I just loosen the bolt, grease and screw it back down to my weight?

The stuff definitely seems to have a strong odor, do I need to worry about deer catchin a whiff of it?

Post Thanks / Like

What bow and year is it. Before any greasing try cleaning the cable rod and the inside of the slide with 91% or denatured alcohol. Sometimes a little grit makes the slide creak. Hows about the arrow dragging across the rest? Some moleskin helps that.

Maybe it's the little plastic tidbits (I'm having a brain fart) that the cable yoke attaches to on the end of the axle. A drop of lube here might do.

If this doesn't work then to grease the limb pocket you have to disassemble the bow. You should be able to back out the limb bolts far enough (about 10-11 tuens) enough to slip the string off the cam. Clean the rocker and limb pocket with alcohol and apply a dab of lithium grease on the rocker. Also, as long as you're that far a little film of grease under the plastic washer between the limb bolt and limb is advisable. Then put the bow back together.

And as long as you've gone there should be a couple plastic washers between the limb fork and cam. A touch of lube here might not hurt.

Take your time and be methodical.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

BrownOut

Wow, that's a little over my head. I'm a first time bow owner, and thought I may be able to do it myself. I guess I'll take it to the shop, problem there is the they just went out of business, but word is new shop is opening up October 1 and the same bow tech I bought the bow from will be working there.

It's an 09 Fire Hawk. I know the noise isn't coming from the rest.

Do you know of any other Martin dealers in the Charleston SC area?

Post Thanks / Like

Are you kidding? I don't even know where many dealers are close to my own home here in Pa. I been shooting these things for 35 years now and never had one in a shop. When something needs done I just tear it apart and throw it on a pile in the middle of the floor and start over. Made lots of mistakes in the early years. Today we have the added advantage of digital photography.

Seriously, try the dealer locator on Martin's website. You know the towns closest to you. For what you want to do almost any knowledgable dealer can do the job. Most all bows are very similar when it comes to this.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver