Thread: Cheetah 2009 Problems with the string.

GLC713

Default Cheetah 2009 Problems with the string.

I am from the UK, and I have just bought a 2009 Cheetah. Lovely bow, but I am having problems with the string hitting my arm. I also have a problem with cam lean. Does anyone have any ideas how to solve these problem? I wonder if they are related.

davydtune

To cheack for cam lean, I just use an arrow. I lay it squarely across the idler and then look at it in relation to the string. You can see the gap between the string and shaft get larger or smaller if it is leaning. You then can adjust the lean by twisting on side of the y yoke up a little, it probably will not take much. Example: say if your bow is right handed, lay the arrow shaft flat on the right side of the idler wheel. Next note the change in distance between the shaft and string. If the shaft gets closer to the string then you are leaning to the right. To fix twist up left yoke. If it shaft gets further away from the string then you'd be leaning to the left and would twist the right yoke.

As far as slapping your arm I'd doubt the lean would have anything to do with it. I'd guess your shooting with a tight grip on the bow. If you open you hand up a bit and just the the bow loosely shit in your hand you shouldn't hit your arm. Easiest way to place hand is to place the center of the grip right where that first crease, up from your thumb in your hand, is. If you look at your palm and then lift your thumb into your hand you'll see which crease I'm talking about.

GLC713

Thanks for that. I have tried giving the cables an extra twist on the appropriate side with limited effect. I have been shooting a Bowtech Equalizer for a couple of years now, and I have never had a problem with arm slap, so I don't think it is my grip. Any other ideas?

davydtune

I'm not sure. I'd say maybe go to Archery Talk and look up NutsnBolts. He has posted up a plethora of how to things, maybe even PM him. He seems to be a great guy and knows bows inside and out.

Post Thanks / Like

My advice isn't very professional and am not sure whether isn't better to ask a more experienced archer, but if you put an STS on your bow the string won't hit your arm anymore....Well, this is kind of funny but i've suggested adding the STS in my 2-3 last threads
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

OK, here's a professional opinion and advice. As Alex says, an STS can help with string overtravel which leads to string slap. The other is to do what davydtune says and look up Nut&Bolts on Archery Talk.

I've been around archery for over 35 years and 99% of the reasons people hit their arm is because of imporper grip and/or too long a draw length.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver