Thread: Phantom 2 Sight/Tuning Problem

Hybrid View

potato749

Default Phantom 2 Sight/Tuning Problem

I own a Phantom 2 w/ Elite limbs and Nitrous X cam setup. I originally set the bow up with a P-loop (loop below the arrow) but never could get rid of a tail high tear from the bow. I timed the cams using the loop to draw to simulate the tension from below the arrow at draw and everything. To finally get rid of the tail high tear I had to switch to a D-loop. The problem is after doing that and relocating my peep I can no longer see my sight. It is covered by the riser where it comes back out to the limb pocket. Has anybody else had a problem with a tail high tear that they couldn't seem to shake with this bow? To fill out the rest of the info, I'm using a 3-D premier rest (two prong launchers), copper John 3-pin hunter sight, 2213 Superslams, bow is set to 60lbs and 29 inch draw (B-cam). I absolutely love the way this bow shoots but if my anchor has to be uncomfortable to shoot it then it's no good.

Mr Mnemonic

You've got to be pretty careful replying to a "high tear" type question, without looking at the archer actually shooting, there are just too many variables.
    There are a few very generilised things I can suggest, they may not be right in your particular case, so you'll just have to decide if anything applies to you.

Firstly, when an archer tells me they have a consistant tear problem that is difficult to tune out, the first thing I would look at is their grip. A grip that applies torque in any direction will generally cause a tear in the same direction.

Next is bow balance. In my part of the world (Bowhunting/field Archery in Australia) the bulk of shooters are using no or short stabilisers, only a small proportion are shooting long Freestyle/Target type stabilsers. Bows that are excessively weighted forward or back can cause a tear up or down, or cause the archer to apply forces to counteract the poor balance that results in tears in the opposite direction. (hope that makes some sense). The phantom only has moderate reflex in the riser, so it can handle a reasonable amount of weight on the stabiliser to give it the right balance. In prefer a balance that is slighlty weight forward in the hand at rest.

One thing I see a bit is archers using wrist straps that are too tight. Again, too tight can pull the bow top forward, or can make the archer try and counteract the pulling by pushing the bow bottom forward.

Another thing of course is simply that in a bow with a fairly short sight window, adopting a target style (below the chin) anchor point, just means that your peep is further up the string. Thus it follows that the sight has to be higher up to line up with the peep. The answer here is to either change to a higher anchor point, buy a bow with a larger sight window, or as you previously had, to anchor below the arrow.

Like I said, there are a myriad of things that can cause your problem. The only thing I can confidently tell you is that it is PROBABLY not an inherant fault in the bow.

I hope you can get something out of all that, and please if there is one aspect you would like more info on, just ask.