Thread: Going look @ Bows.

hunter1964

Default Going look @ Bows.

Pro shop near my house BAYOULAND BOUHUNTERS-arro or listed as a Martin Dealer (Gold Series) and when I went there earlier during the week all he had was Bowtech and Diamond, worker said they dropped the Martin line and went with bowtech. Shot the Bowtech Admiral, Captain & Sentinel also shot the Diamond Black Ice. Liked the Admiral and Black Ice but I shot better and liked the action of my friends MOAB a lot better. Looks like I am going to have to make a road trip to Scott and Son Archery *88A* CC Bossier City, LA or Bass, Bucks & Ducks Outdoors *144A* C Monroe, LA
    Both or Pro Series dealers.
    The only thing I am being cautious on is all the issues I have been reading on the Martins with limbs, CCS and CAMS but I also know they back there product.

Gets worst as I keep trying, both pro shops listed above are closed but they are listed in dealers on the Martin home page. I just hate ordering a bow I never shot, I like to see how it works for me before I make up my mind.
    Last edited by hunter1964; 09-19-2009 at 09:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Too bad the shops are closed, but if you've already shot a MOAB you know how good it is. There are really some complains about Martin bows this year, but only a few are about the MOAB. If you want my advice -buy a 2008 MOAB if you can find one.Even if you take it without trying it you won't regret i'm sure-the limbs split very seldom, because the M-pro cams are less aggressive then the CATs and the 08 model don't has the CCS.The only two things wich you can do is to add a STS and to serve the string around the idler wheel.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

It a shame those shops are closed and as much as I do like my Martin bows I would not advise buying a bow you haven't shot and checked out, no matter what brand or model. I advise people to not only shoot bows, but when planning on buying they should thoroughly go over every detail opf the exact bow they are planning on buying, checking for any little defect such as cam lean, cables rubbing modules and such.

That's just my $.02.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Barry, you're absolutely right of course, but if there aren't bow shops it'll be quite difficult to try and inspect a bow.I also don't like to buy without trying, but sometimes there's no choice. In the matter of fact i'm now waiting to receive my new horsebow which i've seen only in the internet and hope everything will be ok.(Well, the dealer is a friend of mine so i have a little advantage )
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    Barry, you're absolutely right of course, but if there aren't bow shops it'll be quite difficult to try and inspect a bow.I also don't like to buy without trying, but sometimes there's no choice. In the matter of fact i'm now waiting to receive my new horsebow which i've seen only in the internet and hope everything will be ok.(Well, the dealer is a friend of mine so i have a little advantage )
    Alex, you're quite right, of course, and this is probably one of those times I have put my foot in my mouth. I've been a staff shooter now for 16 years (4 different companies) and have had about 26 bows during that time. Not one of them did I shoot or even hold before ordering. During that time I've ended uip with one lemon, which the company did replace rather quickly (It wasn't Martin) But then I know how to thoroughly inspect a bow and know exactly what things to look for to notice defective workmanship.

The average guy or a novice doen't have this experience so I do think they should beware buying unseen or unshot unless there is either no other choice or they are willing to deal with any problems directly with the company, and understand that every once in a while problems do arise.

Of course, there is always the idea that any dealer can order a Gold series bow for a customer. They don't necessarily have to be a Martin dealer. Now whether siad dealer wants upfront payment or how they treat the customer after the sale is between the two involved.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

26! I feel envy now ...Hope hunter1964 will be happy with his bow, nevermind how he buy it!