Thread: Saber vs. Orion

Unregistered

Default Saber vs. Orion

Hi,

I'm considering purchasing one of these two bows for target shooting and occasional hunting. My local store has the Saber and Orion for virtually the same price (Saber is more expensive by about 5 dollars). What is the difference between these two bows? Which is better than the other and for what type of activity?

I noticed that the Saber has a magnesium riser and the Orion a machined aluminum. Aren't magnesium risers cheaper/older? Are there any disadvantages? If magnesium is cheaper, what about the Saber makes it a little more expensive than the Orion?

Thanks.

PLASTIC PAUL

Good question and i think i have a good answer. Cast risers are generally less expensive than machined aluminum risers but they still perform very well. In some cases they will actually adsorb more vibration than an aluminum riser.

Now comparing these tow bows i would have to suggest the Saber for what you want it for. It has more brace height than the Orion and the Saber's limbs are more parallel. These two features will make the bow more forgiving.

Between these two bows I would suggest the Saber.

Mike01

Thanks Paul.

Out of curiosity, under what circumstances would you suggest the Orion?

I'm curious as to why Martin makes two bows that are priced practically the same. What are the differences between the two?

Also, why do you think Martin chose to use a magnesium riser on the Saber and a machined aluminum riser on the Orion?

While I'm at it...

What is the difference between Pro series bows and Gold series?

PLASTIC PAUL

The Saber is slightly heavier and it is only available in right hand. The no lefties is porbably due to the cost of molds. They may also no normally be in the same price catagory. The Orion is also only available in Camo.

You will discover that this is one of the things mnay of us love about Martin. They make so many different bows that everyone can find what they need. Take the bows I shoot as an example, They are available with your choice of three different limbs and with four different cam configurations.

Elk4me

Mike go with the Saber I just bought one and it is one SWEET bow!

Mike01

Okay, I went and got the Saber, and I really like it. All of a sudden I'm a good archer.

A friend of mine picked up the Orion. Since he and I poke fun at each other constantly, I now need to know why the Saber is better even more than before.

So...exactly why do you guys seem to like the Saber better than the Orion? What kind of archer would be better off getting the Orion over the Saber? Since both cost about the same, it can't be a clear "one is better than the other".

Come on guys...he's already laying into me about his aluminum riser.

Elk4me

Well I know that the Pro series can only be bought at a Martin dealer, all the gold series bows can be bought at any Box shop like Bass Pro, Cabela's ,Archery Experts and any other non dealer shop. I also think that the Pro series has a better quality limb . But dont quote me on this I am new to Martin and I know only what I have learned from purchasing the Saber.And the Pro series has closed end limb cup and the gold series has open ended limb cups. But ya might want to talk to a dealer instead of me.

PLASTIC PAUL

Matt- got you going on the right track but even better would be to look at some of my posts and PM me so you can clean his clock. The proshop thing is pretty funny though. Here is an oddity, the C-4 with Elite limbs and Nitrous cams is one heck of a target bow and yet none of the box stores oreder it that way. None that i have run across anyways.

Quite honestly if you look at the Slayer and the Saber you will see many similarities. There was a great deal of work that went into the design of the Slayer and many of those features went into the Saber. The Saber is very much the baby brother to the Slayer, that is a really good thing !!!