Thread: cheetah limb creak

buckslayr

Default cheetah limb creak

I just put new limbs on my cheetah,a hundred or so arrows ago. now when I draw it back there is a creak somwhere around the top limb,it only happens the first draw,not again until I shoot it, then it creaks the first draw again.if I draw more than once it doesn't creak after the initial draw, what is up, it sounded just like this with my first set of limbs that had a crack in them, I can't see a crack in these,so I don't know what gives, anybody?

Post Thanks / Like

I just had the same problem and It wasnt my limb it was the cam... It was all of that yellow wax..It built up and it was sticking....Take it to a pro shop have them take off the top cam and clean it out. It will be good as new after that.

buckslayr

I do my own work and have custom strings on it and no excess wax, what else might it be, thanks for the reply!

RogerSr

Last time I looked the Cheetah does not have a top cam.

jpermenter

I dropped the poundage on my cheetah yesterday and the limbs creaked on the first draw, i havent shot it today so i dont know if it will do it again, do you have the limb bolts backed out any or all the way down?

buckslayr

I have them backed out , does that make a difference?

jpermenter

Well, honestly im not sure, however, if tightened all the way down there is less to no movement at the limb bolt, when you back it out the limb can move a little more free and may be creaking on the limb bolt or riser, I havent had the chance to shoot mine again to see if it does it again. since it only creaks on the first shot I am thinking maybe the limb is creaking on the limb bolt and snugs up after the first draw and does not do it any more when you are shooting at that time. I could be completely off but it makes sense in my small brain. I am going to shoot some tomorrow and I will let you know if mine does it again, if you can tighten the limb bolts all the way down and shoot you might try it and see if it creaks, if it doesnt i might be on to something.

jpermenter

this of course wont help your problem but just trying to diagnose the problem first.

MOUNTIE1

I had a similar problem with an old PSE with limb pockets. Ended up being a small piece of grit or something I could not see between the limb and the pocket. I blew it out with a compressor and never had the problem again. Evidently whatever was stuck was small enough not to be seen and in just the wrong place. I would try simply blowing out all the contact areas on the limb and might even try some graphite powder on the pivot.

Post Thanks / Like

i had the same thing with my firecat, it was just one of the spacers getting caught up on the cam while drawing, after shooting i just rotated it (the spacer) a little and its been fine ever since