Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Problems with M-Pro on a Jaguar

Bart

Default Problems with M-Pro on a Jaguar

Hello friends, new here and hope to hang out here some, get to know some of you. Having some problems with my new M-Pro Cams just installed and hoping to get some insight. Please forgive the lengthy post but the information was neccessary.

There is something definitely not right with my Jaguar bow that has just came back from Martin, repairing a defective Dynacam and installing new M-Pro Cam, limbs & strings. Now that I have it back, this bow is just not usable, it is full draw weight not hitting the let-off right up until I hit the wall. Been shooting all my life, and was used to a Darton Thunder-flite for many years, it having a very nice smooth round cam action. So itís not just that I went from a radical cam to a round cam. There is no smooth let-off, much less a noticeable let-off. It breaks right at the point I hit the back wall on the string, leaving me NO valley. After researching everything I could possibly find I have come to this conclusion.

After researching many bows and manuals I have only been able to find a cam & idler wheel similar to the ones installed on my bow on the 08í Leopard, all other bows seem to have a different looking M-Pro Cam and larger Idler Wheel. Out of the 08í bows the Saber & Bengal seem to be most similar in size to my Jaguar, both having the different looking M-Pro cam & larger idler wheel. The leopard is supposed to have the Mini M-Pro since it is a lighter duty bow, so not sure if my cam is a M-Pro or a Mini M-Pro? Was my version of the lynx light duty as well, to where it should take the lighter duty cams?

Pics of the M-Pro cam in all year manuals appear to be positioned different than my new bow setup. The hole in the cam where the string wraps around then hooks to the tab on the cam is almost parallel to the axle, where as my bow is approximately 1 ľ inches closer to the limb.

I also read a thread in here about the M-Pro timing. When I look down into where the string meets the cam, there is no sign of any groove showing.
    ďwith the 08 mpro cam you need to have aprox. 3/8 to 1/2" of groove showing under the string to have it set to where it is most efficient. ď

I was also informed that I should be able to replace the modules without a press, yet the screws to the modules sit in between my limb not allowing me to remove the screws or module.

These facts and the technical info below lead me to believe my bow needs a different length of strings or possibly another cam setup. All I know is this bow is nothing like it was before I sent it in to be repaired. I have the bow at itís lowest possible setting and still doubt I will be able to shoot it in itís present condition, and opening day is here.

Comparing Axle & string lengths below things just do not add up. With the same cam, the only thing that should change the lengths is the differences in the A-A, so if my A-A is 1 Ĺ inches longer, my string and cable should also be 1 Ĺ inches longer. These numbers below just donít add up and my guess is I have the wrong length string, cable or both.

Saber & Bengal= A-A/32, String/88.5, Cable/33.5
    Leopard= A-A/30, String/79.5, Cable/31.5
    My Jaguar= A-A/32.5, String/86.5, Cable/33.5

This new cam setup had to fit a bow and these numbers just donít add up in any configuration. There should be some consistancy. Looking for some help here. Bow season is here and I have no bow to shoot. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RogerSr

You have the M Pro Cam, not the mini m pro cam, some times you have to back the limb bolts out tell you can see day light through the barrel nuts so you can rotate the cam to take the screws out of the mods,as for the rest you may need to twest or untwest the cable to time the cam to change letoff.

Post Thanks / Like

Your cam is not "timed" corectly. I'll try to upload pictures of my 08 MOAB with the M-pro cam.I hope i'll manage to do the upload, because i've forgotten how to
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Bart

So I would need my cable string to be some where around an inch longer in order to get the groove to show about 1/2 inch. Now when I add an inch to the cable, it gives my string another inch, what effect will that have on limbs, draw weight etc.?

Bart

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't experience with string and cables lenght, but i think 1 inch is too much...Try first to untwist them a little, you're not so off, may be 1,5-2cm (don't want to turn it into inches, you can do it).
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Bart

No I'm thinking I need a total different set of string & cable. If you look at the comparison chart, the Saber & Bengal are only 1/2" shorter in A-A. So the length of the string and cable should be the same.

My bow is 1/2" longer so the string and cable should also be no more or less than 1/2" longer as well don't you think. If we are comparing the M-Pro setup on both the Bengal & Saber, my string should be 89" & cable 34"

The string on mine is 2" shorter, add the 1/2" missing from the A-A= 2 1/2" shorter, and since the cable is the same length, take in consideration the A-A it is in fact 1/2" shorter.

Hope you follow what I am saying, the numbers don't add up and I don't think a simple twist of the string will do the job. Not much to untwist on the cable and doubt I could twist the string enough to loose 2".

So am I making sense?

Post Thanks / Like

Do i understand it right to the point that you will add some more AtA to your bow?

In this case you need to remember that your string is also the cable on the back side so if you want to add approx 1" AtA you will need to lenghten the string by more than 2.5" and the Yoke by 1". You see that those numbers will work! Further the Jaguar will only be deliviered with a Mini-MPro cam so that the string length will be a different there.

I just can aggree to you that the cable could be 0.5" to short.

Further you should consider that your bow is kind of older and that those pictures might not fit. All newers bows have a parallel limb design insted of a more conventional design as it is used on your jaguar so that those drawings wont help you much. They only thing that is important for you is the string groove that has to show up. If you will lenghten the cable a bit by untwisting you can give the cam more cable to show up this groove. Just try it.

I assume that you have the Mini-MPro on your bow. Check the Idler wheel and the Cam. There is no draw stop so it is an older. The Idler wheel is used for the MiniMPro.

Oh.. Alex, you have a cracked limb.
    Last edited by Montalaar; 09-28-2009 at 12:27 AM.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

I attached y picture for you. There you can see how your cam should be aligned. The red dot shows the position where your string should come of the cam approx. To achieve that you need to lengthen your cable or shorten your string a tad.

So put some twists in your string and untwist your cable to see if that will help.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Montalaar View Post
    Oh.. Alex, you have a cracked limb.
    For a moment this scared me. I don't think it's cracked- this looks like a defect in the camo (darker on one side) The bow was like that since i've bought it.When i touch it i can feel absolutely no crack, it's smooth like the rest of the limb.Can it be a crack, which isn't yet to the surface? I hope not!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Hey, seems as my skills in scaring people have gained a new level. :P

If you run with some whool or so over it and you feel nothing than everything is perfect. You can also try some Methanol/Ethanol and clean this part of the limb to see if there is something with it.

I would not shhot it but i have more possibilities to get a new limb than you... SO if you clean it and there is nothing than everything is okay. Just not a perfect dipping job.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL