Thread: Martin Bone Hunter (Cheetah?) Noise from Cable Slide

russcats

Question Martin Bone Hunter (Cheetah?) Noise from Cable Slide

I just purchased a Martin Bone Hunter from Dick's which from what I read here is probably the Cheetah. The bow feels and shoots great, however it's real loud. I noticed that the cable slide, even though I have it tightened as much as I can, has some "play" in it. I can grab the tip of it and move it a bit up and down. 2 questions... Is this normal based on the design of those 2 set screws? Is it possible that's where my noise is coming from? Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

1. No, it's not normal - go back to the shop and ask them to fix the problem
    2.Yes, i think this may be part of the reason for the noise, but there can be also some other reason.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

russcats

Thanks for the prompt response... I already brought it back to Dick's, shot it in their 10 yard shooting lane only to have them tell me they don't hear anything. One guy tried convincing me that it can be coming from my release! So, I brought it to a local archery shop and he tightened it a bit more than I had it and he told me it just may be a "characteristic" of the bow. That was after he stated he really doesn't like the design of how the slide is attached to the bow. I guess I'll take it to another shop.

davydtune

I'd make sure the rod is fully seated in the hole. Sometimes the the camo film dip gets down in the hole and makes the rod fight very tight not allowing it to be fully inserted. When I put an STS on my 08 Bengal I had to sand the finish out of the whole. This may be the same case with your cable guard.

eldermike

I would have the shop take the slide off and see if the hole is tapped all the way through.

Post Thanks / Like

If nothing else works, you can glue the rod, but i don't like this solution very much- it's always better to be able to disassemble a bow (and any machine).
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

jpermenter

If you get it figured out let us know, my cheetah is a little louder than i would have liked, i put the limbsavers, sts, cable guard dampner, and octane stabalizer on it and it helped a lot, STS probably did the most.

russcats

Everything is checking out OK... I'm going to add a dampener to the cable guard and see what happens. Any suggestions on type/brand?

Post Thanks / Like

I think those bowjax are really great! My bow had a Limbsaver rod dampener on it but it did not show any effect.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

davydtune

Martin's stopper or STS (Bucks and Ducks) the original