Thread: arrow weight for whitetail

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default arrow weight for whitetail

Just looking for some friendly thoughts on my setup. Have a 09 Bengal set at 50# with 29" draw. Shooting CX Maxima 250 (30") with 100gr Thunderheads. As close as I can figure my total arrow weight is 342.70grs. I also shoot with a Parker Trailblazer XP at around 53#, Mission Eliminator 54#, both of these at 29" draw. Am I a tad light on arrow weight? Do I need a weight forward arrow?

Post Thanks / Like

That depends on the use of the arrow?

Your arrow is heavy enough to not void the warranty on any of those bows. If you want to hunt those arrow weight might be okay - depending on what game you want to shoot. If you are using a lighter arrow for hunting you will need to tune it perfect and you will be good to go.

A forward weighted arrow? Do i remember right when i think that those are the CX arrows? I do not think this is necessary.
    (2) Martin ShadowCat 2010

Post Thanks / Like

strictly whitetail deer.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you should add some weight to you arrow as this will make it easier for you to be successful. You could get a arrow in a 'heavier' spine and use a 125gr or even 150gr BH. This will give you some additional mass which will lead to a slighty hiher momentum and higher penetration.

But i still believe that your arrow will be good enough if everything is tuned properly.
    (2) Martin ShadowCat 2010

dbd870

Thumbs up

That's 6.85gr/#. That's in the 6-7gr/# range that I prefer for a compromise between mass and speed. I'd say use them.

jpermenter

I shoot less grains per # than you and have no problems, you should have plenty of mass and speed to do the trick with whitetail, your not trying to shoot a water buffalo, I would not go up in weight at all.