Thread: ouch! this is not good

brushrat

Default ouch! this is not good

I was searching for a strange clicking noise that started showing up at draw and discovered this (see attached picture). The crack in the riser does seem to go all the way through. What a great time to happen, the second season for deer starts in a few more weeks. Given the time frames, i was contemplating cranking it down to 50lbs hoping to baby it through till the season ends. I would think that Martin would cover this type of thing ,but it would take more that 3 weeks to get everything back and all tuned up again. Does anyone feel that it has a few more shots left in it or should i just send it in and play it safe? Don't have any idea how long it's been this way......any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

In your own interest i would please you to not shoot this bow any longer!

The only thing you can try is to remove the camo film dip with a knive or somthing like that to see what is under the dip. The same thing i advised alex to do with a crack like that in his limb.

Martin will understand what you did to get some clarification on the issue.

Please keep us updated with pics!

Oh and just by the way...

Di your bow fall to the ground or something similar? The broken edge left to the 'crack' looks like it had contact to a more or less hard object as if it felt down.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

speedyropp

i am by no means an expert in this but, if it was me I would not shoot it. I always take into account murphy's law (and my intimate relationship with it)and I would assume that if I shot a bow in that condition something bad would likely happen. I do no now where all that stored energy would go if it came apart at full draw, but to me, I would assume that I would be off work for awhile while the wound(s) heals. You won't be able to bowhunt at all with some bodily harm!!!!!!!!

brushrat

Quote Originally Posted by Montalaar View Post
    In your own interest i would please you to not shoot this bow any longer!

The only thing you can try is to remove the camo film dip with a knive or somthing like that to see what is under the dip. The same thing i advised alex to do with a crack like that in his limb.

Martin will understand what you did to get some clarification on the issue.

Please keep us updated with pics!

Oh and just by the way...

Di your bow fall to the ground or something similar? The broken edge left to the 'crack' looks like it had contact to a more or less hard object as if it felt down.
    no damage ...it's just the way it's made. There is a shallow machined recess just behind it, that is why it looks nicked in the pic. I am 99.99% sure the crack is not just the camo film. With the right angle and a bright light you can see shiny metal inside the crack. The crack is aprox. 1/2" long and appears to be surfacing around the thinnest part of the riser.

buckshot20

Call martin asap and send that thing back. Youmay get it back in time if you get on the ball. I got mine back in about a week and a half. Send it usps though 3 days from florida to washington

brushrat

Quote Originally Posted by buckshot20 View Post
    Call martin asap and send that thing back. Youmay get it back in time if you get on the ball. I got mine back in about a week and a half. Send it usps though 3 days from florida to washington
    yea...i think i'll call joel tommorrow and have him look at the pic i posted . After that he can advise me as to what to do next. I would rather it take a little longer and be happy with the repair than just get it back fast . At first my only thoughts were to get it back before the 2nd season. If that can happen great (i sounds like it did in your case), but I want to be happy with the final repair . Thanks for your imput and recommendations.

Dave308

They should replace the bow so it may not take that long to get one back.

dbd870

I'd definitely not take another shot with it. There's a failure you don't see very often. That's a bummer.