Thread: Adjusting Sights On Martin Saber

JohnnyThunder

Default Adjusting Sights On Martin Saber

Hello,

I bought my first bow this week, a Martin Saber SE which I got at Bass Pro Shops. My bow was already setup when I brought it home, however the person at Bass Pro shops who installed my sights put the sight mount on upside down. As a result, the bow was shooting severly low even though it appeared to me that it was shooting nearly perfectly straight left to right.

Since the sight mount was on upside down, it was impossible to bring the sight down far enough to correct the problem of shooting very low, so today I decided to take the sight off and re-install it correctly.

I was able to get the sight off and reinstalled, and after watching some videos and reading some articles on how to sight the bow in, I was able to get it sighted in reasonably well. I was able to get it sighted in well enough that I am hitting my target every time, however I am not able to get the last bit of adjustment so that it is sighted perfectly.

When I try and adjust, I shoot four arrows and then loosen up the screw with an allen wrench and move the sight in the right direction. But I am having a terrible time only moving the sight enough to correct those last couple of inches. I seem to be constantly moving the sight to far, so that 2 inches to the left becomes 2 inches to the right after adjustment.

Is there a hint that I should know about how to adjust the sights, or perhaps my expectations about how accurate this site can be adjusted are just out of line ? Would I be better off to get a different sight that can be adjusted more easily ?

Any help you could give me or suggestions for correcting these last couple of inches of sighting error would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for you help.

JohnnyThunder

Can anyone help at all ?

I finally gave up on trying to adjust the sight in the up and down direction. It was easier to just move my starting position back from 10 yards to 25 yards and now I am very pleased with all my shots having an inch to inch in a half vertical variance, and I will just consider my top pin as a 25 yard shot instead of a 10.

But I really could use some help in the side to side adjustment. I think I need to move the sight so that my shots land 4-5 inches to the left, which I understand means I need to move my sight slightly to the right, but I can't figure out how to move it just a little to the right - I'm afraid if I try and move it I'm going to end up missing 4-5 inches to the right again.

How am I supposed to move the sight only a little bit and not too much ?

Should I just give up and get a different sight since there is only a screw with an allen wrench that clamps the sight in place, and apparently no easy way to make a minor adjustment left or right ?

The sight I have is possibly the GWS Striker Sight - 1204, if not that exact model, its one very similar to it.

davydtune

Move it very little at a time, say 1/16" no more than 1/8". What I do is just barely loosen the screw and tap the sight lightly with my allen wrench set. You probably already know this but you need to move the sight in the same direction that your arrows are off. Ex, if your hitting to the left more the sight to the left. To the right, move the sight to the right. Same thing for up and down.

JohnnyThunder

Is there a way that I can know its only been moved say 1/16th of an inch ?

I'll try just a little tap with the allen wrenches this evening, mostly my problem seems to be that I'm not able to move it only 1/16th of an inch -- if I move it at all once I'm close its moved too much.

davydtune

Maybe put a little paint on it where the bracket and sight come together? At least that would give you a reference to look at.

JohnnyThunder

thats a good idea, I will try that tonight

CraigK

Johny,
    Move your sights in the direction of where the arrow hits the target.
    easiest way is the have a friend with you,and have him move the pins while you are holding your bow.

JohnnyThunder

Quote Originally Posted by CraigK View Post
    Johny,
    Move your sights in the direction of where the arrow hits the target.
    easiest way is the have a friend with you,and have him move the pins while you are holding your bow.
    thanks, but I understand which way to move the pins and all that -- I'm just having issues with only making a small adjustment without moving it too far

CraigK

Ok, I see now, sorry cant help on that, But if I might make a suggestion,
    If your only using this bow for hunting, your sights being 1/2 inch off shouldnt be a big issue. Now I'm no expert buy far, however all the years I shot recurve without sights if I hit a grapefuit at 20 yard consistantly, I was Very Happy.it did not matter to me if my arrows were touching each other or not, as long as it was in the kill zone. Now years later, as I shoot my compounds, I can place 8 -10 arrows in a kill zone every shot from10 to 45 yards, I am happy with that and I got more confidence when I go into the woods with that. I am sure it is a different story all togather with some of the 3d shooters we got on this site were that 1/2 inch makes a difference.
    Just my opinion. either way,, good luck.
    craig

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davydtune View Post
    Maybe put a little paint on it where the bracket and sight come together? At least that would give you a reference to look at.
    Yes - mark the sight bar with a pen/paint or scribe it with a pick on both sides - both horizontal and verticle - then you can tell how much you move it. Once you have it hitting perfectly you can mark it really good so that you will know if it comes loose / moves etc.