Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: better broadhead flight-pls help

Unregistered

Question better broadhead flight-pls help

i have a martin bengal, i shoot pse carbon force x radial weave 300 arrows with regular fletching. the arrow flight is excelent with field points, however i shoot muzzy 100gr fixed broadheads and there is some movement in flight. i am thinking of switching my fletching to nap quick spin 2" fletching. i have a 360 quick tune rest. will this improve broadhead flight?

jpermenter

I shoot muzzy 100 grain with my cheetah on a GT 5575, 400 spine about 374 grains total weight, my arrow flight is good with field points but not great with the broadheads, hoping someone with more knowledge will pop in and help us. by the way my arrows have 2 inch fletching and not helping me. someone help!

Post Thanks / Like

As another Bengal owner, I have a similiar issue. My field pts are pretty accurate, but switch over to a broadhead and things drift left. I have thunderheads 100gr and carbon express dual pro 100gr.

willow ms

Have you guys tried paper tuning your arrow flight with field points? If your bow will shoot an arrow sized bullethole with three small vane tears and not rip out to one side or up or down, it should group any quality broadhead with your field points. I shoot a martin quest with beman arrows and montec one piece broadheads. If your bow will not shoot a bullethole thru the paper from about three feet from the paper, you will have to adjust your rest to shoot from the true center of your bow and possibly adjust your noc point on your string. any proshop can do this, they might charge you a small fee.

tood s

just buy mechanical broadheads... problem solved..

willow ms

If a bow is not properly tuned it is not properly tuned. mechanicals may fly like field points but if field points are not flying to thier fully tuned potential even better flight can be achieved thru paper tuning and groups can be tighten. With mecanicals you still have a problem,anything mechanical can fail. fixed blade broadheads cannot fail to open. Sorry I'm just old school, the simpler the better!

oktx

Quote Originally Posted by tood s View Post
    This is just a Band-aid. Need your arrow length, DW and DL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tood s View Post
    Some states do not allow the use of mechanical broadheads, neither California or Oregon allow them. Keep tuning. If you'll do a search you will find many posts on the same subject, the answer is always the same, more tuning. You've got your bow close, just not quite there yet.
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 10-07-2009 at 08:35 AM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Unregistered - better broadhead flight-pls help

If you are using 4" vanes now - switching to shorter will probably make things worse. Need to know your draw weight and length to offer you more help.

Jpermenter - I shoot muzzy 100 grain with my cheetah on a GT 5575, 400 spine about 374 grains total weight, my arrow flight is good with field points but not great with the broadheads, hoping someone with more knowledge will pop in and help us. by the way my arrows have 2 inch fletching and not helping me. someone help!

At 73# and 28" there is a good chance that you are under spined. I would try GT 7595's.

In all cases, just because your bows shoot field points acceptable does not at all mean that broadheads are going to shoot at the same poi. Get a copy of Eastons bow tuning guide and go thru all the applicable steps.

Dont rely on paper tuning with field points - that is just your starting point.
    Do that - then walk back tune - then broadhead tune and you should get great results.

davydtune

Quote Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
    Unregistered - better broadhead flight-pls help

If you are using 4" vanes now - switching to shorter will probably make things worse. Need to know your draw weight and length to offer you more help.

Jpermenter - I shoot muzzy 100 grain with my cheetah on a GT 5575, 400 spine about 374 grains total weight, my arrow flight is good with field points but not great with the broadheads, hoping someone with more knowledge will pop in and help us. by the way my arrows have 2 inch fletching and not helping me. someone help!

At 73# and 28" there is a good chance that you are under spined. I would try GT 7595's.

In all cases, just because your bows shoot field points acceptable does not at all mean that broadheads are going to shoot at the same poi. Get a copy of Eastons bow tuning guide and go thru all the applicable steps.

Dont rely on paper tuning with field points - that is just your starting point.
    Do that - then walk back tune - then broadhead tune and you should get great results.

Yes. Paper is just a rough starting point. I don't even bother with it to be honest. I eyeball everything and then just walk back tune. Then when it comes time for BHs I broadhead tune to my field points. I get great flight with fixed blades all the way out to 60 yards.