+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whitetails from my "farm"

JohnnyThunder

Default Whitetails from my "farm"

well its not really a farm, the only animals are wild and the only crops are food plots. but its my hunting place.

I have some deer pictures, I thought maybe some of you would enjoy seeing them.

Here is one from last year, this is about 150 yards from where the tree stand I'm planning on hunting most of the bow season in is at.
    Attached Images Attached Images

JohnnyThunder

that one is probably the best buck picture I have, I have a lot more bucks and does out there but most aren't as nice as he is

JohnnyThunder

Here's one with a few more bucks in it -- this is a couple years ago.

I don't have any recent pics on my SD card right now, but this will kind of give you an idea of where I'm hunting.

JohnnyThunder

there's a lot of does as well of course, but I'm choosing the bucks to post

Weds night I saw one buck nearly as good as that first one, and two does with two spotted fawns when I went out to check my trail cams and play around.

I've taken 8 deer there in the last 3 years since I've had the property. I've never yet taken one with a bow before though. I meant to bow hunt last season, but there was a lot of personal stuff going on with my family so I didn't really have time to prepare.

This year I'm ready though.

I have three tree stands on the property overlooking cutover and food plots, those were setup with rifle shooting in mind though - I see lots of deer there, but if you see one its 80-200 yard shot.

This year I've got one extra stand setup just for bow shooting, my stand is on the side of the ridge overlooking a creek bottom that leads to the food plots where that first picture was taken. There is about 1/2 an acre of Alpha Rack plus planted in the bottoms, and my stand is in a large white oak with several other white oaks nearby.

My plan is to get in the stand early before dawn while the deer are out in the food plots and then be in position when it starts to get light and they move up the creek to seek the heavy cover for the day.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice! Good luck with your hunting!
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

JohnnyThunder

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    Nice! Good luck with your hunting!
    Thanks. I've never taken a deer with a bow yet, but I'm expecting to be successful this year. Most of the deer I've taken with a rifle have been from within bow range, and I've been practicing for a couple of months.

I'm putting 15 out of 15 within an inch of my deer target's heart at 30 yards and from off the roof of the house, about 20 feet up. I'm confident I can get in range and then make the shot.

Today I went out to my tree stand with a range finder and some glow-tacks and trail marking ribbon and color coded the trees around the stand - marking the distance. That way when I see a deer, I should know exactly how far away it is and won't misestimate the range in the excitement.

I'm really excited and eager to go, I've been wanting to bow hunt a deer for several years now.

I've got some more recent pics I can show you guys later when I can get them off my other SD cards from my trail cams.

D.haurn

Default Whitetails from my "farm"

Heres a few pictures from my recent hunt. Found acd-145 HGCo petticoat in light aqua today and nothing more, but it was fun to look. Heres afew pictures of what along the line.
    1-old culvert
    2-bridge
    3-whats left of the origional bridge
    4-view of the right of way
    5-another shot of the right-of-way, now its a forest after 25 years.
    6-the petticoat before we got i down, turned out it had a big crack in it.

JohnnyThunder

I can't see any of your pictures ?

Here's another one of my pictures... Not a deer, its a coyote walking beside a field of sunflowers. Deer apparently don't like to eat sunflowers, but turkeys do.

willow ms

Default Deer do eat sunflowers.

According to the NTWF's television series "GET IN THE GAME", Deer do eat Sunflowers. They devoted a whole show to preparing a Dove field and how to keep Deer from destroying their crop of Sunflowers. They explained that Deer will eat the young green plants down to the stem and will eat the ripe heads right off the plant in the fall. Two methods of deturant were used.Air cannons and electric fences. I saw a large male Coyote in a cut rice field the other day. It looked like he was chasing mice. The week before I had a Coyote chase twin fawns directly under my stand. Hope you get the Deer your'e after. I don't have any pictures to share, unfortunately. I hunt public land and I am afrraid someone will steal my cameras. We have had problems with people cutting locks and cables to steal stands. Isn't that a down right shame. I will however post the after harvest pictures of the Buck am onto, when I get him. Had him directly under me opening day. It's just a matter of time and luck. Thanks,WILLOW

JohnnyThunder

I don't doubt that a deer would eat a sunflower if it didn't have anything else, but I have peas, beans, oats, wheat, not to mention acres of imperial white clover and alpha-rack plus. That time of year the deer are busy eating honeysuckle and clover, I didn't mean they just wouldn't eat it. I should have said its not their favorite thing to eat if you give them a choice.

Thats a shame about your camera's getting stolen, I've had one of mine stolen too.

+ Reply to Thread