Thread: martin moab 08 problem

danastles

Default martin moab 08 problem

hi
    i had my martin moab pro hunter in the case for a while. i tookit out to shoot it a bit. on my first draw back, the string came off the top wheel and wedged between the limb and the part between the wheel and the limb. i took it to a shop, they put the bow in a press and put the string back on. i drew the bow back again, and when i was letting it off, the same thing happened. what is going on here? the shop said the wheel might have a bend in it, but i couldnt make one out. now the string is fried. so i ordered a new aftermarket string, but i dont wanna put it on only to have it get mangled too.
    any similar situations?

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how knowledgable your shop guy is. To check for a bent idler wheel all that is needed is to press the bow to remove string pressure from it and spin it. OK, the string was pff the wheel and the bow was in a press. Why didn't he just spin it and see if it's bent.

Check the idler wheel for excessive "cam-lean" and correct it if it's leaning badly.

I have to ask, though. Were you drawing the bow by hand, meaning with your fingers? When you tried to let down had you drawn the bow with fingers? If so it's quite possible that you torqued the string right off the idler wheel much the same as a bicycle chain comes off a sprocket. I've seen this happen lots of times with short axle to axle bows being drawn or let down with fingers.

Or are you gripping the bow when drawing or letting down? In either case torque can twist the bow sideways and the string can pop off.

I will commend you for not ruining a second set of strings before finding the root cause of the problem.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

brushrat

Quote Originally Posted by danastles View Post
    hi
    i had my martin moab pro hunter in the case for a while. i tookit out to shoot it a bit. on my first draw back, the string came off the top wheel and wedged between the limb and the part between the wheel and the limb. i took it to a shop, they put the bow in a press and put the string back on. i drew the bow back again, and when i was letting it off, the same thing happened. what is going on here? the shop said the wheel might have a bend in it, but i couldnt make one out. now the string is fried. so i ordered a new aftermarket string, but i dont wanna put it on only to have it get mangled too.
    any similar situations?
    This is a very common problem with high letoff bows, because you are holding such a small amount of weight. When you draw down a bow without an arrow you need to visually guide the string back towards the center of the idler and cam. You need to make this visual alignment before the cam breaks back over.

When you are at draw with an arrow, you are releasing the string from your anchor points and the release is pretty much a straight line and not a problem.

danastles

Default re

thanks alot for the info guys. come to think of it when i drew it back the first time it was with my fingers> the guy at the shop said there is a bit of a lean in the top wheel. he should be able to fix that should he not?
    i do remember when i drew it back i tried to look thru the sights and it was torqued. so maybe thats the problem.

724wd

martin started putting deep top cams on the MOAB's due to this problem. might contact them or your pro shop to get a deep wheel.