Thread: why to carry 2 kinds of broadheads

Threaded View

tommyhydro

Angry why to carry 2 kinds of broadheads

ok so i guess i am gonna do some venting here, kinda long story but just follow me on this. i hunt on a military installation archery program, we have weekly lottery drawings for daily zones. i drew a zone for 2 days that has a really good buck in it, on top of that, all the deer that get kicked out of the only non-lottery "free for all" zone go into this zone. the night before i get to hunt it, i get a phone call from a specific hunter who seems to always call me every time he shoots a deer b/c he seems to never be able to find his deer. he informs me that he shot a deer and was going to let it sit over night b/c he wasn't exactly sure of the shot. i hunt the next morning, see no deer and don't see his either, move my stand before lunch. while at lunch he looks for his deer, no big deal. he calls me and tells me that the big buck is bedded down 50yds behind my stand, so i am pumped for the evening hunt. go out there and what do i find 35ft behind my stand but his deer, both front legs done but very much alive. i dispatch the animal and call him to come get it, i carry 2 types of broadhead just for this, my 2 blade rage for initial, and if need be to follow up on a shot, my G5 strykers do the trick. he tells me that when he shot it it went down in front of him and it broke his rage tipped arrow off in its shoulder. it started to move and he told me he didn't follow up on the shot before it finally limped away because he didn't want to "waste" a broadhead. WTF, i thought that it was a hunters responsibility to ensure his animal has as quick and clean a death as possible, NOT 24hrs with a rage floating around in its shoulder. needless to say after i had to finish his animal off and the fact that there was no chance that the big buck was still gonna be there and i drug his deer out for him i was a little upset. so just remember this story next time your in the woods and if you ever question following up on an animal. thanks for your time
    Last edited by tommyhydro; 10-15-2009 at 06:38 AM.