Thread: firecat upgrade cams?

Unregistered

Default firecat upgrade cams?

recently i had the cams replaced on my 08 firecat. the pro shoppe told me that there were issues with the stock cams and that martin was replacing the cams. i guess i would call it a recall. the pro shop also told me that this increased the draw weight when maxxed out from 70 to about 75 pounds. i got my bow back fom the pro shop and now this bow is super loud. has anyone else noticed this or am i just paranoid. it just doesn't sound right but the pro shop tells me that its the nature of the speedbow but i dont buy that theory. i also have a bowtech 82nd and it is nowhere near as loud and before the cam replacement on the firecat it was comparable to the bowtech in terms of being quiet. i am afraid to shoot it as i dont want it coming apart on me. any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Did they set it all up and tune it or just swap out the cams and give it back to you? I have an '09 FireCat and it is very very quiet.

elkslaya

Quote Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
    Did they set it all up and tune it or just swap out the cams and give it back to you? I have an '09 FireCat and it is very very quiet.
    well they "told" me that it was set up, timed and tuned. i shot it for about 30minutes and when i asked the tech that set the bow up his response was "thats just the nature of the speed bow, you'll just have to live with it" and as i stated previously, this bow is very loud and alot louder than it was previously. i am not so sure that the tech properly timed the cams. the sound that it makes almost sounds like its a loud vibrating type sound like the cams are vibrating upon release or something. i'm gonna take it to another shop and have it looked over. any suggestions on what to look for are appreciated as i am not an expert at recognizing these types of things. i am relatively new to bow hunting and this was my first bow.

Post Thanks / Like

Check if both modules sit tight on the Cam. One of mine was not and my Warthog was load as hell. You could also check if both cables hit the module at the same time when drawing your bow.

For more information search 'CAT Cam Timing' on www.archerytalk.com . There are loads of posts with pictures.
    (2) Martin ShadowCat 2010

NewNYBowhunter

Default noisy '08 Firecat

One thing I would check or is your cables for your cams. If they are wrapped up right or not. I did a simple look at the number of twists in the cables by counting the amount of crossings..... how many black marks from one end to the other. If you're 1 or 2 different you should be ok, but if one has 10 and the other has 20, your cams could be way out of timing. One thing I learned is that when you crank your limbs down to reset draw weight, if you don't back them off a 1/4 to 1/2 turn from bottomed out, you get an excessive amount of preload on your limbs, up to 78 lbs of draw weight that I've seen, and you are shooting a risky bow that could break on you.
    Other than that, is everything tight that's supposed to be tight? If you hold your bow in one hand, and hit it against the palm of your other hand, do you hear anything loose or rattling? Is you cable stop in the right position? it will adjust with an allen key to bring it closer or farther away from the string at rest. Did you add a quiver, or anything that might not be up to par for your bow?
    Another thing is not all techs know what they're doing on every bow out there, they can be great on one type but suck on another, just because they work on bows doesn't make them all knowing and powerful. Telling you that's just the nature of your bow is BS plain and simple, or it's hiding their lack of knowledge. I know guys who would buy from a place but never let the "tech" touch their bow