Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martin Saber - How Fast To Expect ?

JohnnyThunder

Default Martin Saber - How Fast To Expect ?

I've been shooting my Martin Saber every day at an indoor archery range either at lunchtime or after work. They have this thing that you shoot the arrow through and it measures how fast (fps) your arrow is going.

My arrow is going 218-219 fps.

Now on Martin's website it says something like 315-320 fps for the Martin Saber. I realize thats for a 70# bow though.

My bow is 60#s, currently let down to about #53 so I can shoot a lot.

I was just wondering how fast is it reasonable to expect my bow to go ?

I hope to work my way up to shooting it at the full 60# by the start of the next deer season. I'm strength challenged and of slim build so its difficult for me to pull too much, I can pull one of my other bows thats set at 64# but I can only shoot it a few times before my arm and shoulder hurt too much.

Post Thanks / Like

Plug your numbers into this = http://utopiaprogramming.com/ke/KineticEnergy.html#

It will be pretty close.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me ask you which is more important for you -your health or your bow's speed?
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

JohnnyThunder

well my health obviously, but I don't see why I can work my way up to the whole 60#s if I go at it slowly and consistently over a long period of time like the next year

JohnnyThunder

Quote Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
    Plug your numbers into this = http://utopiaprogramming.com/ke/KineticEnergy.html#

It will be pretty close.
    Thank you, but that website doesn't work for me. Perhaps because I'm at work right now or something -- I will try it later when I get home.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyThunder View Post
    well my health obviously, but I don't see why I can work my way up to the whole 60#s if I go at it slowly and consistently over a long period of time like the next year
    Of course you can, but the higher poundage the higher trauma risk. I'm not a hunter and my targets can't make the difference between 230 and 320fps. As far as i know speed is important for 3-D shooting, but i believe form and skills are more important.With this i don't mean you mustn't go to 60#, just mean be careful. Bowshooting is fun for 99% of the archers not chasing world records so we must not risk our health ... at least that's my opinion
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

JohnnyThunder

oh I will be careful, thats why I intend to work my way up slowly over a long period

I'm thinking I will be back up to the full 60 soon and then I will shoot at 60 for practice for a year and if I can manage to kill a deer this season or maybe a pig in the spring then I will get a 70 to reward myself and use it for hunting and just keep shooting the 60 for practice and fun.

Because I can pull a 70 and hold it and shoot it, its just that I can't go and shoot 40-50 shots for practice at lunch time and then again after work without a bottle of ibuprofen and a tube of ben-gay.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyThunder View Post
    Thank you, but that website doesn't work for me. Perhaps because I'm at work right now or something -- I will try it later when I get home.

Thanks!
    If you post your info I will run it for you.
    Need arrow weight and draw length.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry - and what you have on your string.

JohnnyThunder

I'm at home now, so I'm trying to work it.

How do I know how many grains my arrow is ? I don't know how many grains the vanes, knock, etc.. are either.