Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: string twists

Post Thanks / Like

Question string twists

I had some new custom strings made up for my Bengal but the shop didn't put but 2 or 3 twists in it ??? I've put a few more trying to get my peep aligned correctly... My string leaches slide up and down own the strings to my center serving after about a dozen arrows??? How many twists should I have in it ???? I just got the bow shooting bullet holes on a walk back will I need to do that over again ???

Post Thanks / Like

You can take serving material and make a short serving at the string leeches to keep them in place.

Most/many people say that 1 turn for 1.5" string should be good.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

Ask any real string maker over on Archery Talk and they're going to tell you that a properly made string will have about one revolution (twist) every 1.5" of the string.

All these twists do several things. They make the bundle of strinds tighter and quieter. Makes the strands work together as a unit which helps stabilize them and reduce peep rotation and helps with keeping serving in place.

A string with 3 twists in it? You got to be kidding. A string that long should have about 50 twists in it when stretched to finished length. Take a look at some good custom two color strings. All those twists in them are not to make them look pretty. There there for a reason.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I guess I need to start twisting. I'm finally heading out for the first hunt this weekend, so I'll leave it alone till I get back......Thanx for the help guys I'm new in this game and still got a lot to learn ...
    09 Bengal 29" @ 68#
    Truglo 5 pin
    Trophy Taker Extreme
    NAP Nightmare 100grn
    Blackhawk Vapor Pro 3000 265grn

Post Thanks / Like

It's not just that simple. By twisitng the string you make it shorter which decreases bow weight and shortens the draw length. Assuming the string is the proper length right now you're not going to help anything by adding twists.

A string should measure it's proper length with the right amount of twists already in it. This is where most string makers have done a lot of trial and error and know to make a string a little long on the jig so when the twists are added it measures what it should on the bow.

You may have to have another string made or order one from an aftermarket maker.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm !! the draw length makes sense but it decreases draw weight ??? My bow shop guy has been in the biz for awhile maybe he expects me to do it ??? I guess I need to make a call.... It seems to shoot OK ????
    09 Bengal 29" @ 68#
    Truglo 5 pin
    Trophy Taker Extreme
    NAP Nightmare 100grn

Post Thanks / Like

Not to bash your shop guy because I don't know anything about him, but I've been involved in archery and bowhunting for 36 years now and much of what I know, and it isn't near as much as many others, has been learned just in the last 6-7 years. What I know about strings is limited and I've never made any. All this stuff you hear about custom strings has just become common knowledge in the last 5 years or so to many people.

Like many aspects of this sport, the technical advances is never ending.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

My uncle got me started with my first recurve when I was 14 which was 34 yrs ago, and I know he shot with this guy in tourneys for at least that long. I'm sure much longer cause he's about 20 yrs older then I am. His shops been there for at least 10 yrs so maybe it was just a simple mistake ?? I'm sure I didn't help the prossess by looking over his shoulder and pushing him to get it done for deer hunting???? My Bad ????? I'll give him a buzz and figure it out one way or another...
    09 Bengal 29" @ 68#
    Truglo 5 pin
    Trophy Taker Extreme
    NAP Nightmare 100grn

Post Thanks / Like

He very well might know what he is doing. On the other hand he may need to learn. Ask him and be specific as to what you want. Maybe he's learning how to make strings. There are lots of string makers over on Archery Talk that would give him some advice. All that's needed is a question.

I certainly know that if I took up string making I would make enough mistakes. Probably cost me ton of money in wasted string material till I learn.

Wish you luck.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

stehawk

Quote Originally Posted by Sagittarius View Post
    Hmmm !! the draw length makes sense but it decreases draw weight ??? My bow shop guy has been in the biz for awhile maybe he expects me to do it ??? I guess I need to make a call.... It seems to shoot OK ????

To sum it up for you---

Putting twists (shortening) the shooting string will decrease your lbs of draw weight. On the other hand if you twist the cables it will add draw weight. You also need to keep in mind that you want it close to the proper draw weight but also the A to A and the proper cam rotation. Its a fine art and you can practice for hours before getting it perfect. My first step is to get the lbs of draw weight I want ----I don't worry about A to A like most---I do worry about cam rotation because it can cause poor performance, harder draw force and more hand shock. If you have to rotate/time the cam its best to put or take out 2 twist to the shooting string to 1 twist to the cables. That will maintain your draw weight and get the cam rotated the way you want. Have fun and I hope this helped.